Crews respond to structure fire in Forest City

Top Stories

FOREST CITY, SUSQUEHANNA COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU-TV) — A landmark building is dealing with significant damage after a fire in Susquehanna County.

Flames broke out on the upper floor of the Kameen Building in Forest City on the 600 Block of Main Street.

Both upstairs apartments were occupied.

It appears a cooking accident with an air fryer sparked the flames in one of the apartments where four people were inside.

“The first thing I did was run, scream. I told Crystal to get my mom, get the pets and then once we were, like, out I started banging on the neighbors’ door and I didn’t really want to stop until I knew they were out,” said Destiny Rosario.

“Neighbors started pounding on the door and once we opened the door they said there was a fire. At this time we saw black smoke coming in so pretty much it was just grab all the kids and run,” said Ashley Mann.

“We were lucky. We kept it from the supermarket. Not a drop of water, a little bit of smoky haze in there but never hurt the market,” said Chief Paul Lukus of the Forest City Fire Department.

Zazzera’s Super Market next door wasn’t damaged and no one in the Kameen Building was hurt.

The Salvation Army and Red Cross are helping eight fire victims in all.

The first floor was vacant after recently housing a gym and before that a hardware store.

Eyewitness News will release more information once it becomes available.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Top Stories

More Top Stories

Latest Videos