Police investigation into infant’s death continues in Williamsport

Top Stories

WILLIAMSPORT, LYCOMING COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU-TV) — Investigators are working to piece together last week’s events that left a five-month-old baby dead. The infant’s mother has been charged with criminal homicide.

Corrie Shanikah Cowlay-Saunders remains in the Lycoming County Prison pending a preliminary hearing later this week. Police say the 22-year-old killed her five-month old daughter before stabbing the child’s father and attempting to flee the scene. Monday, the investigation continues into the death of her daughter Cailani Faltz.

Police investigators were outside homes on both Adams and Franklin Street Monday just down the block from where the infant’s body was found.

“Charges of criminal homicide with regard to the murder of the baby, and attempted murder and aggravated assault with regard to the stabbing,” said Chief Damon Hagan with the Williamsport Bureau of Police.

Those charges were filed on Friday after police say Cowlay-Saunders offered a series of erratic statements implicating herself in her daughter’s murder.

“The utterances that were made were sufficient to establish probable cause to charge her with criminal homicide in this case,” said Chief Hagan.

Levi Stover lives next door to Cordell Faltz, the infant’s father, on Franklin Street.

He tells Eyewitness News he saw Cowlay-Saunders arguing with Faltz outside the house one night before the stabbing and heard the accused yell that she was “done being civil.”

“When I saw her mugshot picture, like I knew that was the chick that I heard saying she was done being civil. I knew it was the same person. So it was pretty crazy just to kind of hear it, and see it, then find out what ended up happening,” said Stover.

Stover says he only recently moved to Franklin Street but he never saw or heard anything suspicious before that early morning argument last week.

“I’ve been living here for the last two or three weeks, so not very long that I’ve been here. And I hadn’t heard anything before that night. So it’s pretty crazy. And it all happened real, real fast,” Stover said.

Stover added he was shocked when he returned home Thursday night to emergency personnel up and down his block.

Lycoming County Coroner Chuck Keissling, meanwhile, confirmed to Eyewitness News an autopsy was conducted this weekend but the final results are still pending further investigation. He said that report likely won’t be released for 10-12 weeks.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Top Stories

More Top Stories

Latest Videos