EAST STROUDSBURG, MONROE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU-TV) — An early-morning fire ripped through an apartment building, leaving five people out in the cold.
Firefighters responded to an apartment fire on South Courtland Street in East Stroudsburg around 5 a.m. Thursday morning.
“It was an automatic fire alarm. Police got on scene and confirmed we had a working fire with entrapment. When we got on scene police got four of the five individuals out,” Acme Hose Company Chief Dale Fetterly said.
Crews spent hours on-scene, working to put out the flames. Firefighters were initially concerned that someone was trapped inside the fire.
“It’s a sick feeling in your stomach, I got to send my guys in there to get him. We’re pretty confident there’s no one in there. We’ve done three searches so we’re pretty confident he’s not in there,” Fetterly said.
Four families are now displaced, but no one was reported injured. The apartments are located above JTH Salon. It’s unknown if the business received any damage. Ingrid Cunningham lived in one of the five apartments. She heard two bangs before she saw smoke coming from her neighbor’s apartment.
“I was scared and wanted to get the heck out of there. So I went and knocked on my neighbor’s door to wake her up and that was about it. I mean I was petrified,” Cunningham said.
The Red Cross arrived on the scene quickly to help four families whose homes were destroyed.
“It’s more hectic for the families but we’re here trying to provide as much assistance as possible for them with the tools that we have,” American Red Cross Disaster Program Specialist Donnell Riley said.
And even people who live nearby are shocked by the fire.
“It was a really pretty building. They’re sort of scarce downtown. Here, nice looking buildings. So I’m sorry to see it go,” Jean Booth said.
The fifth person has been safely located and the streets have been reopened. The fire is under investigation.