Update: As of 5 p.m., Tier 1 restrictions on trucks and other vehicles on interstate highways and expressways have been lifted.
EYEWITNESS NEWS (WBRE/WYOU-TV) — Due to winter weather, PennDOT is implementing Tier 1 restrictions on portions of routes and interstates and reduced speed limits.
Speed limits are still reduced to 45 mph on the following highways, as well as commercial vehicles being restricted to the right lane only for travel:
- Interstate 78 in Berks, Lehigh and Northampton counties
- Interstate 80 in Carbon and Monroe counties
- Interstate 81 in Schuylkill County
- Interstate 176 in Berks County
- Interstate 380 in Monroe County
- US 22 in Lehigh and Northampton counties
- US 222 in Berks and Lehigh counties
- US 422 in Berks County
- PA 33 in Monroe and Northampton counties
- PA 309 from Interstate 78 to the Bucks County line in Lehigh County
Vehicles under Tier 1 restrictions are not permitted on the affected roadways:
- Tractors without trailers
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers or tank trailers
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded tandem trailers
- Enclosed cargo delivery trucks that meet the definition of a CMV
- Passenger vehicles (cars, SUV’s, pickup trucks, etc.) towing trailers
- Recreational vehicles/motorhomes
- School buses, commercial buses and motor coaches not carrying chains or Alternate Traction Devices (ATD’s)
You can check if your route has any traffic, plow truck statuses and travel alerts on 511PA.