POTTSVILLE, SCHUYLKILL COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — Several Schuylkill County businesses were damaged and two people were displaced in a fire that broke out Wednesday morning.
Firefighters were called to the scene on the 400 block of North Claude A Lord Boulevard (Route 61) in Pottsville around 6:30 am. Multiple crews arrived on scene to douse the flames.
Open space in the building made it difficult for firefighters to put out the flames.
“Fire was in-between walls, ceilings and floors. It was a tough fire. It got in between the dead space areas and travelled the building,” Pottsville Fire Chief Jim Misstishin said.
The fire tore through five businesses and four apartments. The American Red Cross is assisting those displaced.
There were no reported injuries.
A section of Route 61 between Mill Creek Avenue and East Arch Street was closed while crews worked to put out the fire. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- CDC says schools should still implement face masks, social distancing through end of term
- Fatal crash closes section of Interstate 81 in Schuylkill County
- Man behind ‘Keep Portland Weird’ says city not as weird anymore
- American Institute of Mining Metallurgical & Petroleum Engineers celebrates 150 years
- Tax Day is Monday, May 17th