MCADOO, SCHUYLKILL COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU-TV) — An early morning fire sends a 2-year-old child to the hospital and displaces four people.
“I heard people screaming for the dogs and when I got up as soon as I stood up, I smelled smoke,” said Jaime Yulichny, of McAdoo.
The fire raged inside the walls of a multi-unit home in McAdoo. All occupants had varying degrees of luck to be able to escape.
“There were smoke detectors going off and her dogs licking her face that is how she got out of the hole,” said Chief Robert Leshko of the McAdoo Fire Company.
Chief Leshko and his crew quickly worked to put out the fire in the early morning hours, with precautions taken.
“Our guys made an aggressive attack. We’re able to knock that part of the fire down, but because of the balloon construction of the home. We ended up with calling a second alarm,” Leshko said.
While fire and smoke ripped through the walls of the building next door on East Jackson is where the call came from just before 3:30 a.m. from a member of the McAdoo Fire Company. The fire was in the walls between units 131 and 129.
“I have a disabled father that I’m taking care of in this house right here. He’s downstairs and he’s bed bound. Biggest concern was, if the fire starts shooting out of the house, I will have to get him out,” Yulichny said.
A single occupant and family of three were displaced. A 2-year-old was taken to the hospital to monitor for smoke inhalation. But without quick reactions and concerned neighbors, officials say this could have been much worse.
“Grateful, grateful that they were fast, and they were able to knock it down,” Yulichny said.
Chief Lesko told Eyewitness News the big takeaways — he’s thankful for his team that came together in the early morning hours, and then 2-year-old who was treated for smoke inhalation, has been released from the hospital expected to be alright.
The State Police Fire Marshal is expected to continue investigating the fire.