CATAWISSA, COLUMBIA COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — “And I went out on the front porch and oh my god, all you saw was a big ball of fire. It lit the whole sky,” Angela Haines from Catawissa said.
Melick Aquafeed on First Street in Catawissa went up in flames around 6:20 Saturday evening. Catawissa Hose Company’s Fire Chief tells Eyewitness News the fire started on the third floor before spreading down into the warehouse. They say two employees were working and got out safely. Sunday afternoon crews were still fighting hotspots after nearly 20 hours. Many locals of the community stopped by to remember one of the town’s icons.
“Stuff like this doesn’t happen to a small town and it hit’s home because you worry about the jobs, the place has been here forever, as long as I can remember. I’ve lived here for almost ten years, and you want to make sure everybody is okay,” Nick Whitbeck from Catawissa said.
Angela Haines, who watched the fire from her porch, says she can’t believe it happened.
“It’s a shame, it is… It’s a shame… For the business and the people who work there, it is…” Haines said.
One local woman says she is even willing to give donations to the employees who work there.
“I just hope if they need any donations or anything like that, they can post it somewhere and I can drop off anything,” Maria Englert from Bloomsburg said.
“For something like this, this big to happen… To have so much help from over a dozen of fire companies, it really shows how well we want to work together and how well we respect eachother’s boundaries,” Whitbeck said.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined and reports of an explosion are not yet confirmed.