CARBONDALE, LACKAWANNA COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU-TV) — A devastating fire in Carbondale took the life of a 58-year-old mother of eight, Rose Boyles.
Crews responded to the double-block home on Williams Avenue just after 5:00 a.m. Tuesday.
The victim’s family say she was upstairs in her bedroom when the fire started and flames were blocking her only way out of the home.
“I tried to come out the front door and I was just hit with flames and smoke, so I went out the back door,” said Donna Parsons, daughter in law of Boyles.
Firefighters were able to put out the fire, but Boyles did not make it out. The victim’s son and the family living next door were able to get out uninjured.
“I knew she wasn’t going to make it out, when I came outside,” said Parsons.
Rose had eight children. Her youngest, Lizzie, just 18 years old. Eyewitness News spoke with her oldest son James Davis Tuesday morning.
“They all made it out except for her. She happened to be upstairs, the smoke got to her and she just couldn’t get out of the house,” said Davis.
Police say neighbors called 9-1-1.
“Just some yelling, my mom yelled, woke me up, got me outside, just in case it spread,” said Ashlynn Allison, a neighbor who helped the displaced. One neighbor rushed to wake up the house, but couldn’t get to Rose.
“My neighbor smashed in our back door and came in and got us all out of the house and when I came out our whole house was on fire,” said Parsons.
“But by the time he said he got over here, the front of the house was already fully engulfed in flames and the stairs happened to be right there where most of the flames are and there was really no way for her to get out of the house,” said Davis.
He says he’s thankful for the neighbor’s heroism.
“I’m grateful that, you know, he actually did this. Otherwise my brother and his girlfriend and two kids, they would have all been gone too.”
State police fire marshals report the fire was ruled accidental. They believe it started from a space heater on the first floor of the victim’s home.
- Loyalsock girls, undefeated so far, adjusting to basketball amid the pandemic
- Supermarket sells two winning lottery tickets with the same numbers
- Milan man charged with animal cruelty for cutting off dog’s tail
- Scranton Mayor Cognetti announces re-election as a registered Democrat
- PA live! Monday, January 25, 2021