WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) Some poisons are more common — pesticides, rat poison and so on — but there are everyday items that can also hurt you.
That’s the lesson Wilkes University Pharmacy students shared with Wilkes-Barre area kindergarten students Wednesday.
The kindergarten class interacted with the pharmacy students to learn about household items that could — if used improperly can be poisonous.
Cleaning products, mouth wash or even medicine in the wrong dosage can be dangerous.
“Sometimes medication can look like candy. There are even vitamins that are gummies. It appeals to them, so they might consume them or eat too much and it can make them sick.” said Troy Lynn Lewis, a third year pharmacy student,
“They had very fun activities and games that really just made it exciting and fun to learn for the students.” added Katie Szafran, kindergarten teacher
One game had students sorting items into properly colored bins.
Green for safe, red for unsafe and the yellow bin is for questionable items.