There are a number of events going on this weekend and in the days ahead! Enjoy! Remember more events can also be found on the Calendar of Events or under our Community Link.
October 6 and 7, 2018
This is National Physician Assistant Week!
Saturday, October 6, 2018
Join our Kelly Choate today as she takes a walk with the animals. 28th Annual Walk for the Animals The event benefits SPCA of Luzerne County Saturday, October 6,
Blessing of the animals and walk begin at 11 a.m. at Frances Slocum State park near Wyoming
* On October 6 10 am to 4 pm – Plenty going on at Tunkhannock United Methodist Church- Over 100 Quilts on display, Cookie Walk
40+ Themed Gift Baskets for Sale, Homemade Candy, Rummage Sale on Lawn. The Church is located at Corner of Warren and Church Streets
* Heart Screening In Memory of Deceased King’s Student 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, October 6, King’s on the Square (former Ramada Hotel), Public Square, Wilkes-Barre. All participants will receive a vital check and electrocardiogram free of charge. For students whose results indicate the need for additional testing, echocardiograms will also be provided on-site free of charge. CPR and AED training will also be provided. The event is being sponsored by The Peyton Walker Foundation, King’s College, Geisinger and District II of the PIAA.
The Peyton Walker Foundation was established in memory of a student who died in a King’s residence hall in November 2013 from sudden cardiac arrest related to a genetic heart condition, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. At the time of her death, Peyton was a sophomore physician assistant (PA) major at King’s.
Sunday, October 7, 2018
*Open house & benefit, Sunday, October 7, – 9am to ????Keystone Fish & Game Association-Irish Valley. Events will include: $5 Rounds of Trap, $5 .221r Steel Challenge (rifle and/or pistol at 7-25yds), Cowboy Action Shooting Demonstrations, Display of black powder through current firearms, 3D Archery and many other interesting things plus a Chinese Auction-Drawing at 2pm. All proceeds will benefit the Northumberland County Veterans Emergency Fund For additional information and directions to the club, check out our website: www.keystonefishandgameclub.com
Cold range-Eye & Ear Protection-Food & Refreshments, Chicken Bar-B-Q starts at 12 noon? New Member Initiation Fee Waved on Day of Event- for more information 570-648-0084 or 570-898-8566.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT), the Traffic Injury Prevention Project (TIPP), Northeast Highway the Safety, Lackawanna Highway Safety Program and local police will participate in regional car seat checks
· October 19, McCarthy Tire Service ,340 Kidder Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA,10:00 AM- – 1:00 PM
What’s Going on at the Cooperage (The Cooperage is located at at 1030 Main Street in Honesdale)
* On Thursday October 11, 2018 from 4:00pm to 7:00pm there will be Stourbridge Pie: A Market Gathering Place at The Cooperage in Honesdale. This will be the final market of the season. Stourbridge Pie: A Market Gathering Place is a new event series at The Cooperage that strives to provide the greater Honesdale community with access to superb local agricultural products, artisanal goods, locally produced art and live entertainment. The Market is a vibrant and friendly gathering of exemplary local producers, makers, artists and entertainers and enthusiastic consumers, connecting through a mutual appreciation for each other and for our regional foodscape and community. Also, enjoy live music by Tony Maddi and Linus Meyers!
Don’t forget to bring the kids! Romping Radishes will be held upstairs at The Cooperage at 4:00pm each market. This month’s topic is “The Most Magnificent Thing: dreaming and building”. This will be the final Romping Radishes class, stay tuned for the fall schedule.
* Join us for a special Swing Night at The Cooperage on Sunday, October 14, 2018 with a workshop from 4:00pm to 6:00pm by Swingin’ in NEPA and dancing from 6:00pm to 9:00pm! Learn some new steps from dance a instruction by Jaymee & Aaron from Gas House Swing. Live music by Little Big Band out of Milford, PA in a night you won’t forget PLUS don’t forget to grab dinner from The Walking Taco truck!
The Little Big Band was created by Bruce Dedrick (trombone) and is produced by George Stalter (drums). Bruce is a multi-talented artist, who in addition to writing most of the arrangements, is also a singer and composer.
This entertaining group specializes in swing tunes like In the Mood, Moonlight Serenade and Take the A Train; as well as classic dance music such as cha-chas, waltzes, tangoes and ballads. The band is composed horns, rhythm section and vocals.
No partner needed, no experience needed, everyone is welcome! The suggested donation is $10 per person, $20 with dance instruction.
* Join in for a fun night on Friday, October 12, 2018 at The Cooperage brought to you by The Dives! Don’t forget to grab some dinner from the Walking Taco Company Food Truck before the show. This show has a suggested donation of $20 with advance reservation or $25 at the door. To reserve please call 570-253-2020 or email email@example.com. The doors will be opening at 7:00pm with music starting at 7:30pm.
* The Cooperage for our monthly Game Night. Bring your own game from home to share and teach. We also have a selection to play from including Catan, Scrabble and Dominion. All ages are welcome to come join in the fun. Bring a friend or make a friend! Game Night will continue to be held the 3rd Thursday of every month. 6 pm to 9 pm
October 18 | November 15 | December 20
*The Main Street Farmers’ Market returns to The Cooperage, November 3
The Main Street Farmers’ Market will return to 1030 Main Street on Saturday’s from 11:00am to1:00pm beginning on November 3, 2018. This market strives to provide the greater Honesdale community with access to superb local agricultural products. The Market is a vibrant and friendly gathering of exemplary local producers and enthusiastic consumers, connecting through a mutual appreciation for each other and for our regional foodscape.
When: Saturdays, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm at The Cooperage
(November 3, 10, 17, 24 | December 1, 8, 15, 22 | January 5, 19 | February 2, 16 | March 2, 16, 30 )
The CAR WASH on Hamlin Highway and Dog Wash Too… is pleased to support Dessin Animal Shelter through WAG-N-WASH, A DOG WASHING FUNDRAISER held on the First Saturday of each Month (except April, being hosted on March 31). This year there will be 7 events. Dessin will be bringing out Cats and Dogs from the Shelter for a meet and greet, and are available for adoption, along with assisting event guests with proper bathing techniques for their dog or cat at the Self Serve DOG WASH bay.
Saturday October 6th 10:00am to 3:00pm
Location: The CAR WASH on Hamlin Hwy & DOG WASH Too… 1126 Hamlin Hwy. / RT590, Lake Ariel PA 18436 (2 miles east of Hamlin Corners)
Sophia Coxe House Events:
At Bloomsburg University! Monday, Oct. 8
Breast Cancer Awareness and Pink Party with Laura Wolfe, MSN, CRNP, ANP-BC
5 p.m. Kehr Union Building, Multicultural Center
Free Information and Discussion
Tuesday, Oct. 9 Young Person’s Concert
10 a.m., Haas Center, Mitrani Hall
More than 1,200 students from 14 schools will attend Bloomsburg University’s Young Person’s Concert. BU’s Community Orchestra, directed by Dr. David Tedford, will perform a variety of pieces around the theme of dance.
*The Degenstein Community Library is hosting Wine and Words on Saturday, October 13, 2018, from 1-3pm. What can be better than an afternoon combining wine and reading? Community leaders will be reading short selections from their favorite books. Spyglass Winery will be offering samplings of their latest selections and light appetizers will be served. This event celebrates reading and promotes the services of the Degenstein Community Library. Tickets are $20 per person and includes the wine tasting. Designated driver tickets are $3. Reservations are now being accepted by calling 570.286.2641 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional event information and activities, visit our website: www.degensteinlibrary.org.
* Wyoming County’s first-ever production of the off-Broadway smash hit “Nunsense” is about set to play the Dietrich Theater in October. Our Cabaret Productions is partnering with the Dietrich in this live theater fundraising event for the Wyoming County Cultural Center. The music an antics of the Little Sisters of Hoboken entertain audiences at the Dietrich on Saturday, October 27 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, October 28 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. Advance tickets are available 24/7 at 1-800-838-3006 and online at ourcabaret.com.
* The Lehighton Downtown Initiative will be holding the 3rd Annual RockToberfest on October 13th and 14th. This is a 2 day event benefiting breast cancer awareness. Last year the group raised $3000 for the PA Breast Cancer Coalition.
The event will feature bands and acoustic music playing the entire weekend in both of the arear’s beautiful parks and a beer and wine garden, rides for the little ones, car show, huge Basket Raffle, face painting, build your own scarecrow, pumpkin painting, bouncy houses, crafters and all types of vendors and lots of food and so much more!!!
* Oct. 11: Acclaimed Bagpiper to Perform with Her Band at the Weis Center
Internationally acclaimed Galician bagpiper master and classical pianist Cristina Pato will perform with her band on Thursday, Oct. 11 at 7:30 p.m. at the Weis Center for the Performing Arts. There will be a pre-performance talk with the artist the same day as the performance at 1 p.m. in the Weis Center Atrium. Tickets for the performance are $22 for adults, $18 for seniors 62+, $12 for youth 18 and under, $12 for Bucknell employees and retirees (limit 2), $10 for Bucknell students (limit 2), and $12 for non-Bucknell college students (limit 2).
Tickets can be purchased online at Bucknell.edu/BoxOffice or by calling 570-577-1000.
* Oct 14: Ensemble Specializing in Baroque Classical Music to perform at Weis Center
Les Violons du Roy will perform with renowned countertenor Anthony Roth Costanzo on Sunday, October 14 at 2 p.m. at the Weis Center for the Performing Arts. There will be a free pre-performance talk with Music Director and Conductor Jonathan Cohen from 1:15-1:45 p.m. in the Weis Center Atrium.
The performance is in honor of George Jenks. Tickets for the performance are $30 for adults, $24 for seniors 62+, $20 for youth 18 and under, $20 for Bucknell employees and retirees (limit 2), $10 for Bucknell students (limit 2), and $20 for non-Bucknell college students (limit 2).
Tickets can be purchased online at Bucknell.edu/BoxOffice or by calling 570-577-1000.
* Les Violons du Roy will perform with renowned countertenor Anthony Roth Costanzo on Sunday, October 14 at 2 p.m. at the Weis Center. There will be a free pre-performance talk with Music Director and Conductor Jonathan Cohen from 1:15-1:45 p.m. in the Weis Center Atrium. The performance is in honor of George Jenks.
Les Violons du Roy with a core membership of 15 players specializes in the vast repertoire of music for chamber orchestra and performs in the stylistic manner most appropriate to each era.
*The Gillett-Fassett Pennsylvania VFW Post 5655 is holding a Chicken BBQ ($6 per half) on Saturday, October 20th. (ready at 12n) at the Lions Hall in Gillett. Proceeds will benefit the Packard Family (Rich, Joanne & Carol) who are facing high medical and related expenses. Pre-Orders (recommended) are being accepted by calling Larry 570-297-3150 or Dick at 607-742-9530.
*3rd Annual “Stomp Out Hunger” 5k Run and Fun Walk will be on SATURDAY OCTOBER 13TH! The 5K timed Run will start at 11 am. The Fun Walk will start at 12:15 pm and will have a fun set of awards again this year which will be announced on the West End Food Pantry Facebook Page weeks prior. Feel free to start shopping for those funky socks! After there will be music & food for purchase. With registration you will you get to run/walk the amazing Blue Ridge vineyard when grapes are on the vines; take a break at our wine/water recharge station, enter a chance to win amazing raffle items, receive your own “Stomp Out Hunger” t-shirt and branded wine glass with free wine tasting! (Wine glass & tasting is 21 and older only. (Age 20 and under will get a race medal for participation). This is an amazing opportunity to partner with the Winery, raise money to buy food and put the spotlight on hunger in our area. The cross-country course is a loop around the rolling hills of the vineyard. Some of the course is through the forest on an old carriage trail. (Note tricky terrain.)
SUN P.E.T.S. will be hosting the Allegheny Spay and Neuter Clinic Bus on October 1, October 29, and November 12. This low cost spay and neuter service is open to all male and female dog breeds as well as male cats. The cost is $125 per dog or $50 per male cat. Rabies vaccination is included. Everyone is welcome to apply regardless of income. You must also be a resident of Snyder, Union, or Northumberland counties. Financial assistance is available to those that qualify. For more information go to www.sunpets.org, email email@example.com, or call 570-523-1135.
* International Flavors, a buffet of international dishes sponsored by Honesdale Rotary. Supports local and global projects, including local Boy & Girl Scouts, food pantries and Rotary International’s Student Exchange Program. Saturday, November 3rd, 5:00pm-7:30pm, Honesdale High School, 459 Terrace Street, Honesdale. Tickets $15 adults, $10 children. Tickets available at local banks or by phone (570) 253-8631 or at the door.
On-Going Exhibits and more
*The NAMI Scranton & Northeast Region support group is for anyone who has been affected by mental illness. Meetings are held at 7 p.m. on the 2nd and 4th Monday of every month in The Advocacy Alliance Media Building at 841 Jefferson avenue in Scranton. These meetings are free and open to anyone who has a mental illness and/or their friends and family. Please feel free to call the NAMI Scranton office at 570-342-1047 for more information
* The Carbon County American Cancer Society- is also hosting The Great Radio “Ask Your Neighbor” Cook Book Sale. This is a Historic Celebration of the Tastes of our Coal Region communities and ethnicities. The cookbook features over 350 pages of recipes collected through a popular weekday radio show on WLSH from the pre-microwave days! The cookbook is presented with permission and in cooperation with WMGH/WLSH Radio.
Order on-line Click Here or by phone (570) 805-4555 or fax (570) 805-4554 All proceeds benefit ACS. The cost is only $20 (shipping available for $7 extra). The Cook Books are in stock today!!
To order by Mail: Make Check Payable to CancerTelethon.org
Coffee Houses/ Art Exhibits and More
The Luzerne County Historical Society announces new hours at the Bishop Library and LCHS Museum for 2018, starting January 3, 2018.
· Bishop Library, 49 South Franklin Street, Wilkes-Barre:
o 12 to 5 p.m. on Wednesday and Friday
o 12 to 6 p.m. on Thursday
o 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday
· LCHS Museum, 69 Rear South Franklin Street, Wilkes-Barre:
o 2 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday through Friday
o 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday
· Both the Bishop Library and the LCHS Museum will be closed to the public on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday
Museum admission is free for LCHS members, $5 for non-member adults and $3 for non-member children. Using the Bishop Library is free for LCHS members and $5 per day for non-members. For more information, call 570-823-6244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for something to Read? The Friends of the Osterhout Free Library NEW Book Shop is now open. The Book Shop is located on the recently renovated 3rd floor, which is accessible by stairs or the elevator.
Book Shop hours are:
Monday 9:30am – 1:00pm
Wednesday 9:30am – 1:00pm
Thursday 5:00pm – 7:30pm
Friday 9:30am – 1:00pm
Saturday 10:00am – 1:00pm