BEAR CREEK TOWNSHIP, LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — Flames engulfed a house on Old East End Boulevard in Bear Creek Township Tuesday morning. The smoke plume could be seen from at least a mile away.
“When my officers first arrived they had fire shooting out of the back of the residence,” Chief Jim Serafin of the Bear Creek Township Volunteer Hose Company, said.
When firefighters were called to the scene they were told there was a man, his daughter, and their pets inside the burning home. Serafin says everyone got out unharmed.
“Everybody got out very quickly,” Serafin said.
Fighting fires in these frigid temperatures can be difficult. Officials tell Eyewitness News that the roof on the house is made of metal, which became very icy.
Firefighters tried to climb the roof, but had to turn back because of the icy conditions. The below-freezing temperatures can also affect the firehoses.
“You can’t stop water from falling because once you do, all the hose lines freeze up. You gotta make sure you get salt on the roads. Everybody has to watch their footing,” Serafin said.
Fire crews had to truck in water to the scene. They also used an aerial truck to battle the flames from the second floor and attic. The flames were finally put out around noon. There were no injuries, but Serafin says the house is a total loss.
“Fortunately they do have family that lives in the area so they’re gonna be staying with them,” Serafin said.
Serafin advises to take precautions during the cold winter months.
“Check your fireplaces, make sure everything clean and good to go. Be safe. In the cold weather it’s hard to fight these fires,” Serafin said.