Trial Underway for Man Accused of Killing Nine Year Old Boy

News

SUNBURY, NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU)- A long awaited trial started today for a Northumberland County man accused of killing a nine year old boy back in 2014.

It has been more than two years since Victor Hare was charged with the child’s death.

The trial started just after 9:00 this morning and ended for the day around 2:00 this afternoon. Today, witnesses shared their testimony with 14 jurors about the morning nine year old Korbin Rager was found unresponsive.

Hare entered the Northumberland County Courthouse to face a jury for the second time in the last year.

When Eyewitness News asked for comment from Hare, he had none.

While babysitting Rager, prosecutors are accusing the 61-year-old of providing him a deadly dose of oxycontin. The first trial date was set more than a year ago.

“He keeps continuing it and everything else,” says Korbin’s father John Rager. “He should have gone to child right away, but, a shame.”

The commonwealth called seven of their 30 expected witnesses to the stand, including police officers, family members, and EMS personnel.

It was at the home of Victor Hare the morning of October 13th, 2014 that Rager’s step-brother found the boy naked and dead inside Hare’s bedroom.

“I don’t feel that my brother hurt Korbin as for overdose,” says Shirley Stevenson, Hare’s sister.

Witnesses told the jury that once the 911 call was made, Hare seemed disinterested in the fury of activity going on around him.

A 911 operator suggested the same thing, stating he had to call back repeatedly after the initial call because Hare kept hanging up on him.

“It’s hard,” says John Rager. “He needs to get what he deserves.”

Hare is charged with drug delivery resulting in death, involuntary manslaughter, aggravated assault, and other charges.

Hare says he will have no comment until after the trial is all over.

The trial is expected to last through Friday, but the prosecution is calling witnesses faster than originally expected.

Hare is already serving up to ten years for a gun conviction. A jury found him guilty of that last year.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Top Stories

More Top Stories

Latest Videos