Keep WBRE!

Search warrant provides new information on deadly police shooting

News

PROMPTON, WAYNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) – A search warrant is revealing new information into a deadly police shooting in Wayne County.

It was early Monday morning when investigators say James Sorrentino fired shots at two relatives at a home in Prompton.

That turned into a standoff and eventually troopers shot-and-killed the 36 year old after they say he fired a gun at them.

On Monday, investigators said James Sorrentino had access to multiple firearms in his house.

According to a search warrant return just filed by state police, troopers say they seized more than 20 guns from the home along with a lot of ammunition.

The Prompton home where James Sorrentino was shot and killed by state police was quiet Thursday.

With one window now boarded up, it will be up to the Wayne County District Attorney to determine if the deadly shooting was justified.

“We’re in the initial phase of the investigation. I hope that it will not take us long to reach a conclusion,” Wayne County District Attorney Pat Robinson said.

Thursday, we got our first look at items seized from the home as part of the ongoing investigation.

The list of 52 things includes a number of guns and types of ammunition.

At this point, investigators have still not said how many shots were fired by either Sorrentino or state police.

The search warrant indicates that two “spent 12 gauge shotgun shells” were recovered from the front yard of the home.

It also indicates 22 “spent .223 casings” were also taken from the scene.

Bullet fragments were also found and removed from near the front door of the home and the front door glass.

At this point, investigators are still trying to piece everything together.

“The Pennsylvania State Police are going to have to match up the bullets with guns. It’s complex,” Robinson said.

In the new court documents, troopers also say during a five-hour standoff, James Sorrentino came and went from a detached garage several times and began pilling up items near the front driveway.

While it isn’t clear what those items were, earlier this week investigators said the 36-year-old pointed multiple weapons in their direction on numerous occasions before firing at them at least one time.

The Wayne County DA is hoping to issue a report, possibly a preliminary report on what happened, within the next few days.

He says he doesn’t want to rush the investigation but adds the public has a right to know what is going on.

Three state troopers have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard protocol, during the course of the investigation in Wayne County. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

3-Day Forecast

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Community Calendar

Your Photos