EYEWITNESS NEWS (WBRE/WYOU-TV) — Heavy rains are caused flooding in parts of our area after storms swept through the region.
According to PennDOT, the heavy overnight rain has caused flooding on several major roads in the area, which include:
- I-81 North in the area of Exit 194 (Clarks Summit) – flooded roads are causing traffic conditions
- Route 6006 (Scranton-Carbondale HW) – closed in both directions due to flooding at the intersection of SR 247(Wildcat Road in Archbald).
- Route 3009 (Laurel Hill Rd/Forest Acre Dr/Milwaukee RD) – closed in both directions due to a downed utility from the intersection of Summit Lake Road in Newton Township to the intersection of Newton Road in Newton Township.
- Dundaff Street in Dickson City is closed due to the flooding. The estimated date and time of reopening is Thursday, May 6th at 3:00 PM. A local detour is in place.
- SR 307 (Morgan Highway) – an overflowing stream is causing flooding at the bottom of the Morgan Highway and Keyser Ave in Scranton
Flooding is also appearing in sections of Wayne County, with several roads being shut down:
- Washouts in various locations along Route 006 are being reported.
- PA 296 between Robinson Road and Fox Lane Road – closed in both directions.
- PA 670 between Fair Street, Main Street, and Old Salem Parkway in Dyberry Township – closed due to debris on the road. The estimated time of reopening is 5:00 pm.
- Brook Road between Grandview Ave and Garretts Road – closed due to flooding. The estimated time of reopening is 10:00 a.m.
- Owego Turnpike between Tuthill Road and OConnell Road – closed due to flooding.
- SR 1005 (Cliff Street) in Berlin Township – closed due to damaged roadway. The estimated time of reopening is 5:00 PM.
- SR 3024 (Tannery Road), Cherry Ridge Township – closed due to flooding. The estimated time of reopening is 5:00 PM.
Other closures in the area include:
- SR 3014 in Nescopeck Township – closed due to a bridge outage. The estimated date and time of reopening
isto be determined.
- SR 2017 in Lennox Township – closed due to a bridge outage. The estimated time of reopening is to be determined.
- SR 2002 (Old State Road/Schoolhouse Road) in Monroe Township to Northmoreland Township, Wyoming County – down to one lane due to a downed tree in wires. The estimated time of reopening is 6:00 PM.
The flooding has also affected the homes of some residents in Dickson City. On Dundaff Street and Scott Road, multiple fire departments could be seen pumping water out of the homes.
It is highly recommended that if you see water covering the road, you turn around and find an alternate route.
This is a developing story and we will have more information as it becomes available.