SCRANTON, LACKAWANNA COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — A World War II Army veteran was once again awarded the Purple Heart today in Scranton.
A ceremony was held today at the Lynwood Nursing Home in Scranton. Mary Usckavizy accepted the Purple Heart for her late brother, Private William Myack.
He lost one of his feet in battle while fighting in Germany and was awarded the Purple Heart for his bravery and service to his country. Unfortunately, Myack was forced to sell the medal during tough economic times.
“He had to give up something so this guy probably collected memorbilia like today and said “give me your medal” so he had to give him his medal which is probably the only thing he had,” said nephew and Vietnam veteran Ron Skamanicz.
Myak’s original Purple Heart is still out there somewhere and the family hopes that one day it will turn up.
- Crews Gutting Former Bon-Ton for ShopRite at Stroud Mall
- Natural gas industry along with local and regional leaders oppose severance tax
- Monroe County Hospice House Getting Ready to Reopen
- Educational edge at Central Columbia H.S.
- Elk Lake end-of-year water battle