‘Propane combustion’ likely cause of Columbia County home explosion

News

FISHING CREEK TOWNSHIP, COLUMBIA COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — An explosion Sunday night turned a house into a pile of rubble. State police say it was caused by a propane gas leak.

Around 4:00 a.m. state police responded to an explosion at a home located along Winding Road in Fishing Creek Township.

When they arrived, the house was completely destroyed. The structure collapsed and debris was scattered across the street and in a nearby field.

The state police fire marshal at the scene tells Eyewitness News that they were surprised anyone was able to survive such a big explosion. He also said that these types of accidents happen from time to time, just like electrical house fires.

Troop N Community Services Officer Anthony Petroski, says it’s a miracle that all three occupants made it out safely with only minor injuries.

“We have seen these investigations before. Unfortunately, they could be very bad. So, we’re thankful none of the injuries were life-threatening. We’re glad that the people involved, the victims, will be back on their feet. Hopefully, they get some assistance in regard to their residence, but a house can be replaced, they can’t,” said Trooper Petroski.

A family member at the scene says they ask for privacy during this difficult time and anyone who would like to help with donations can contact Nino’s Pizzeria in Shickshinny.

State police say there is no evidence of arson and that the accident was caused by a leak. The fire marshal is still investigating to determine where and how the leak started.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Top Video

More Top Video

Latest Videos