WILKES-BARRE, LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — Police have arrested the woman who they say stabbed a woman in front of her three children in the parking lot of the Save A Lot in Wilkes-Barre and left the children unattended as she stole the victim’s car.

Police have charged 33-year-old Natasha Watson with multiple counts of aggravated assault, robbery of a motor vehicle, and fleeing from officers after an incident that happened Thursday afternoon.

Police responded to the Save A Lot on South Main Street in Wilkes-Barre for reports of a stabbing on Thursday afternoon just after 1:00. Upon arrival, police identified a victim with multiple stab wounds to her shoulder.

Police say the victim told them that as she was putting groceries in her car, Watson approached her, asking for directions. The victim said she gave directions to Watson who then got a “crazy look in her eyes” and began to stab the victim, according to court paperwork.

Officials say that this incident took place in front of Watson’s three children, who during the attack were yelling “please stop.” Watson grabbed the victim’s car keys, which the victim was able to get back but Watson became angered with this and stabbed her several more times, police say.

Watson did get the keys from the victim and police say she then jumped in the car. Authorities say Watson was trying to get the children in the car when she heard the police sirens and took off, leaving the children at the crime scene.

Scott Druby who owns Abe’s Hot Dogs on South Main Street, watched the chaos unfold.

“I saw this lady in a green shirt and she’s going crazy stuff like that. Then I saw a lady jumping into a red car. She took off. The cops are coming she went right between the cop cars pulled out on south main street went back in the parking lot and went right past the cop cars again cops were doing the best they could trying to chase her, and she got away and went down the street,” explained Druby.

Wilkes-Barre police officers broke off the pursuit because they say Watson was driving erratically and it was too dangerous the public was at risk.

Watson fled north eventually crashing the red Honda near a building that houses several businesses in plains township along the way she sideswiped several cars.

William Rogaski worked in the building and heard a loud bang he came out and saw the wrecked Honda.

“We didn’t see her run out but one of our co-workers was out to lunch walking over. She jumped out of her car and started screaming that they were going to shock me. They’re going to shoot me. Something like that” stated Rogaski.

The risk to the public was heightened by the fact that the Fine Arts Fiesta is taking place on Public Square.

“There were a lot of people downtown because of the Fine Arts Festival. So thankfully the defendant didn’t flee into the arts festival which really could have resulted in a lot of injuries possibly death,” explained Sam Sanguedolce, Luzerne County District Attorney.

Watson is facing several charges including aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and fleeing police.

The victim was taken to Geisinger Wyoming Valley where it was found that as a result of the stabbings, one of her lungs collapsed. The victim also told officers that she had never met or seen Watson before this attack.

She remains locked up unable to post bail the victim, who we are not identifying because police have expressed concerns for her safety remains hospitalized and is expected to survive her injuries.