Neighbor heard commotion near home before standoff


SCRANTON, LACKAWANNA COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) – Scranton police say they are still looking for a missing woman after a standoff and arson early Saturday morning.

Sister Angela Miller has not been heard from since around Friday night at 9:30 PM.

Around 8:00 AM Saturday morning, Miller’s nephew fired three shots at police which lead to a standoff and a deadly arson.

There is now only rubble of scene in the 2100-block of Washburn Street.

Police now believe Sister Angela Miller may have been killed and her body taken from the scene since blood has been found inside a family vehicle. 

A neighbor also told Eyewitness News Tuesday that she heard commotion outside the home in the overnight hours, leading up to the standoff 

“She was kind. She was generous. She was caring,” Audrey Orose said, reflecting on Sister Angela Miller. 

Audrey Orose is hoping for the best, but fearing the worst, as police broaden their search for her neighbor. 

“When we first moved here, Sister Angela came over and greeted us,” Audrey Orose said. 

After three days of searching, police say they did not find the missing woman’s body inside this burned out home on Washburn Street. 

Police believe Sister Angela’s nephew, Alan Smith, set the home on fire early Saturday during a standoff. 

Investigators believe Alan Smith previously shot and killed his mother Rosemary inside the home. 

Orose says around 2:30 am Saturday, she heard commotion outside the home, including a man’s voice. 

“I could hear him yell get out, get out, I said get out and the other person started swearing,” Orose said. 

While Orose does not know if it’s connected at all, police now say they’ve found blood evidence in the trunk of one of the vehicles that was in the back of the home. 

With a helicopter in the sky, investigators now believe Alan Smith may have also hurt his aunt, Sister Angela, removing her from the scene making Orose wonder exactly what she heard. 

“Whether it was him it not, I don’t know. I really don’t know!” Orose said. 

For the last three days, Audrey Orose and her son Paul have watched as investigators painstakingly searches for Sister Angela.

Tuesday, as crews demolished the family’s home, they are only left with more questions and no answers. 

“The more time passes the worse the anticipation is getting. You don’t know exactly what is going on,” Paul Orose said. 

Police say the last time anyone heard from Sister Angela or her sister was around 9:30 Friday night, just about 12 hours shy of when the standoff started. 

Investigators are now looking for additional surveillance video and cell phone evidence, hoping to solve this case.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

3-Day Forecast

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Community Calendar

Your Photos

Top Stories

More Top Stories

Latest Videos