STROUD TOWNSHIP, MONROE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) – Mold has been found inside an elementary school in the Poconos. Now, Stroudsburg School District officials are trying to correct the problem before school starts in less than two weeks.
The superintendent says he wanted to be transparent and open, so he informed parents about the issue by posting a statement on the school’s website. From there, it spread on social media.
Gavin is going into first grade at Chipperfield Elementary. His grandfather, John Powers, is upset to hear about mold in the school.
“I would like to see it cleaned up before school, because no parent wants to see their kid get sick,” says John Powers, grandparent.
Stroudsburg School District Superintendent Cosmas Curry says a teacher found mold on a desk as she was preparing her classroom for the upcoming school year. From there, maintenance workers discovered other small traces in several classrooms.
“It’s not all of them. But, it just tells us there’s moisture coming in from somewhere,” says Cosmas Curry, Superintendent, Stroudsburg School District.
Affected areas were cut out and will be replaced with moisture-proof drywall. Curry believes the wet, humid summer is partly to blame.
He says school custodians cleaned the mold. They’re now working with specialists to make sure it was done right and there’s no other issues.
“I want to give parents and staff the assurance that it’s been handled properly,” Curry explains.
Mold was also detected a few years ago at Chipperfield Elementary, but it was cleaned and didn’t grow back.
Parents and grandparents want this resolved. “It does concern me,” Powers says.
Curry asks parents not to panic. He is meeting with environmental specialists on Friday, to hopefully find a permanent solution. He adds, “we know it’s a serious matter and we’re ahead of it.”
Curry says he is confident the issue will be corrected before the first day of school on Monday, August 27th.
Air quality tests were performed and the district is now awaiting those results.
Two large dehumidifiers were also placed in the building to draw out moisture.