DALLAS, LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — We are learning more about a carbon monoxide incident that ended with two men and a firefighter taken to the hospital. The scare happened Monday night in Luzerne County’s Back Mountain.
As emergency responders descended on a home Monday night on Main Street in Dallas, neighbor Mike Friedenthal was startled by both what he saw and heard. “It was really hard to make out with all the noise but it sounded like somebody trying to gasp for air but it was very distinct. You could hear it.”
Lethal levels of carbon monoxide is what Dallas Fire and Ambulance Chief Harry Vivian tells me responders measured inside the home. Dallas Police who were first on the scene found two unresponsive men on the first floor and pulled them from the home. Ambulance crews began treating the victims immediately. “Hooked up to monitors and being hauled off,” said Mr. Friedenthal. He said neither man was moving and added that “the one was serious poisoning from what I understand.”
Besides the two men who were removed from the carbon monoxide-filled home there were some dogs inside with those men as well. Chief Vivian tells me a firefighter was injured by one of the dogs he was treating with a pet oxygen mask. The chief also says the home had a coal burning stove and no working carbon monoxide detector.
“It shows it can happen to anyone and it’s not something that’s easily detectable unless you have a detector,” said Brandon Laverne who has CO detectors because he uses natural gas to heat his apartment. “We have one on every floor and we checked it recently.” His thoughts now turn to those two neighbors. “I hope they’re obviously all right. I mean hopefully they’ll come back and everything will be okay,” said Mr. Laverne.
As of Monday evening, Eyewitness News was still waiting for word on the names and conditions of the two men overcome by carbon monoxide. Three dogs removed from the home were all alive and being treated at Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital in Plains Township.