Exploding phone charger blamed for evacuation at Lackawanna Trail Junior-Senior High School

News

FACTORYVILLE, WYOMING COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — School officials say a small explosion in a Lackawanna Trail Junior-Senior High School hallway Tuesday morning was the result of a cell phone charger that exploded.

Superintendent Matthew Rakauskas tells Eyewitness News the incident happened just as classes were beginning, around 7:30 a.m.

Chief Christopher Tolson of the Dalton Police Department says a student felt the charger heating up in their pocket and threw the charger. It reportedly exploded on impact which resulted in a loud pop and some flames. The fire quickly extinguished itself, Tolson said.

According to the district’s Facebook page, the “incendiary device” ignited in the second floor hallway.

Chief Tolson tells us the student that had the charger in his pocket suffered superficial burns.

Students and staff were able to evacuate to a safe location and were dismissed for the day, the school district says.

Superintendent Rakauskas says they didn’t feel comfortable letting students back in so they dismissed for the day.

The district says they hope the junior-senior students can return to class Wednesday.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Top Video

More Top Video

Latest Videos