(WBRE/WYOU-TV) People in our community who performed life-saving actions were honored for their heroism on Tuesday morning.
Eyewitness News Anchor and Reporter Mark Hiller served as the master of ceremonies for the annual American Red Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania’s 2019 heroes celebration. The event acknowledged inspiring stories of quick thinking and bravery that helped save someone else’s life. Some heroes’ jobs are to save lives like several local firefighters who were honored, but for a New Milford man, he stepped in to perform the Heimlich Maneuver when others struggled to help a woman who was choking on food.
“I started banging on the table with my hand because I was just so panicky and I knew if someone didn’t just do something I was going down to the floor,” Explained Kathleen Pavis, from Cicero, New York.
Brian Hepler a Red Cross Hero, New Milford Township saved Kathleen’s Life.
A dozen heroes were recognized for their actions. Eyewitness News was a proud Media Co-Sponsor of Tuesday’s “Heroes Celebration.”
- Keystone Creations: Ritter’s Farm Markets
- Your Eyewitness Weather Forecast
- Fire out, organ intact but work ahead for charred Notre Dame
- Pennsylvania Residents and Travelers Urged to Watch for Severe Weather
- National Weather Service to survey damage in Scranton, Waymart