BERWICK, COLUMBIA COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU)— A fire burned through a double-block home in Columbia County Thursday.

The fire broke out in the 200 block of West 8th Street in Berwick Thursday afternoon.

The fire started in one side of the home and quickly spread to the other.

According to the homeowner, she was returning home when she noticed smoke filling the streets before she realized it was her home that was on fire.

The homeowner tells Eyewitness News that no one was home during the fire however, there were four dogs in the home, and all but one survived.

The daughter and sister of the homeowners called in the fire and were able to save a dog in the other home before the fire spread.

The family recently lost their father whose ashes were still in the home, but firefighters were able to save them.

There is no word yet on what may have sparked the fire.