Homeless encampment catches fire behind the Gateway Shopping Center

News

EDWARDSVILLE, LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU-TV) — A brush fire in a homeless encampment broke out behind the Gateway Shopping Center in Edwardsville.

According to Chief John Richards of the Edwardsville Fire Department, reports of a fire behind the shopping centers came in around 11:30 a.m.

Officials were told by several homeless individuals that the area on fire is their encampment and that a tire was burning.

“We were able to get access to the fire, which was approximately 200 feet in the woods. We were able to determine that nobody was in the camp at the time of the fire,” Chief Richards said.

The fire was out within twenty minutes. There were no injuries however, seven homeless people are currently displaced.

The Larksville Fire Department assisted the Edwardsville Fire Department at Sunday’s fire.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Top Stories

More Top Stories

Latest Videos