ATHENS, BRADFORD COUNTY (WETM) — Two Athens Area School District employees were arrested in Virginia Beach while chaperoning the senior trip, according to AASD Superintendent Craig Stage.
Social studies teacher Christopher Weldy and Benjamin Gambrell, a learning support staff employee, were charged with being drunk in public and using profanity.
Stage says that he was immediately alerted of the arrests and said there were a total of four chaperones on the trip. The 24 students that were on the trip arrived home on Sunday, as scheduled.
Stage tells 18 News that the district does release details on personnel discipline matters.
Gambrell also served as the advisor for Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), which “envisions a world in which young people make positive decisions that advance their health and safety.”
This is a developing story and 18 News will have more information as it becomes available. 18 News first learned of this story through a viewer tip.
- Fort Worth facility to begin making Yuengling products later this year
- DEP continues to investigate Zerbe Township mine fire
- Car hits rock-climbing business in Poconos
- Lackawanna County dealing with aftermath of Tuesday’s storm
- Bartoletti celebrates 300th win, Scranton clinches top seed for Landmark tournament