(WBRE/ WYOU)- A fire at an apartment building in Mount Carmel left at least 13 people homeless.
No one was injured in that fire but the people who lived there are left with the question, where to go from here?
Smoke filled the air as firefighters attacked the flames inside this apartment building at the intersection of Maple and Second Street.
“There wasn’t the heavy black bellowing smoke but there was a tremendous amount of the light gray smoke laying in the area,” Chief Jim Reed, Mount Carmel Fire said.
A scary scene for those who lived here.
One of those families is Ashton Andrews and her three children. Just weeks ago they moved in, living on the first floor and were home when the fire broke out.
“Somebody came pounding on the door. I opened it and they said it was a fire and my kids ran out. I tried to look for my cats. It started to fill with smoke so I got out,” Andrews said.
Ashton says they have family to help them but that is not case for everyone. Sarah Heddings moved into the apartment this past November.
“We just settled in and everything and now we don’t have any place to go,” Heddings said.
She and her husband are receiving temporary assistance from the American Red Cross.
“Thank god our landlord put all new batteries in my smoke detectors,” Heddings said.
We don’t know the cause of the fire yet but the Mount Carmel fire chief says they do know the fire started somewhere on the first floor of the back of the building.
the state fire marshal is expected to be at the scene to continue the investigation tomorrow.