Pothole Problems Plague a City Transit System

Pothole Patrol

Scranton, Lackawanna County – It’s no secret, but potholes to continue to be a hassle all over our area.

The problem has gotten so bad in parts of Lackawanna County that officials with the transit system there are changing bus routes.

Laura Gombita, a Throop resident, has more than one flat tire thanks to the pothole problem on Boulevard Avenue in Scranton.

“I’m actually catching a ride with my friend because my car got a flat on this road,” she said. “Then a couple days later my donut got a flat on this road. So, I don’t have a car.”

It’s stories like Gombita’s that have officials with the County of Lackawanna Transit System, or COLTS, avoiding the road until the problem gets better.

“It’s ruining our vehicles,” Gombita said. “We don’t have a way to get to work because we have flat tires.”

The detour impacts the number 52 Carbondale route. The bus will use Olyphant Avenue to Pancoast Street.

Paul O’Malley, who lives in Scranton, takes that route to work. He says the detour will probably add an extra thirty minutes to his commute.

“The backup is a reliable car or a taxi,” O’Malley said.

The transit company is also detouring it’s number 36 Layfayette bus for the same reason. That bus runs by Bill Andruk’s house on Van Buren Street in Scranton.

He says crews have tried to fill the potholes on his street at least three times this winter.

“As bad as the roads are it doesn’t surprise me one bit,” he said. “If I was a bus driver I wouldn’t take this road. If you get on the bus and the bus hits a pothole it has a chance of hitting a parked car.”

For now the number 36 bus will go on Grant Avenue to get from Washburn to Layfette Streets.

“The road is a mess,” Andruk said. “It’s not just here it’s everywhere in Scranton, but this seems to be the worst of it.”

Eyewitness News spoke to the communication director with COLTS, who said this is the first time she could recall they’ve had to detour buses because of potholes.

There’s no timetable as to when everything will be fixed.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

3-Day Forecast

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Community Calendar

Your Photos