73°F
Sponsored by

Toy Safety Check List

While many toys are safe, there are still a number of hazards.
Children across the country are looking forward to seeing the presents they'll get this holiday season.
    While many toys are safe, there are still a number of hazards that parents may want to look out for.
Eyewitness News spent the morning with Mom and Doctor, Dr. Laura Swingle.  Dr. Swingle is the Pediatric Hospitalist, Geisinger CMC.   In addition to choking, Dr. Swingle recommends parents also be mindful of other potential hazards such as:  Batteries, toxins, mold, noisy toys...and magnets.

 Check for recalls   CPSC Website


Toy Check List!
Holiday Gift Guide: Are your children’s toys safe?

Do you know if the toys your own “babes in toyland” will receive this holiday season are safe?
Children across the country are looking forward to seeing the presents they’ll get this holiday season. While many toys are safe, there are still a number of hazards that can potentially exist.
Choking Hazards
Many toys contain small parts and pieces that can be accidentally swallowed by children.  Make sure to read the age guidelines on the toy boxes, and keep pieces that can be swallowed out of reach. Additionally, ensure your children are aware that “toy” food isn’t real, and is certainly inedible.
Batteries
Toys that contain batteries, especially flat disc batteries, can be extremely hazardous to children. Batteries are corrosive, and can damage the skin and eyes if the battery acid is leaking. They can also cause serious internal damage if swallowed. Make sure the battery receptacles are secured tightly, and inaccessible to your children.
Toxins
Many toys are made with materials that contain toxins. While knowing where toys are made and what they are made with is always ideal, sometimes that’s very difficult to identify. Many companies now make completely organic, non-toxic toys and materials that are safer for your children.
Mold
Bathtub toys make great gifts, but be sure to check that the toys don’t have openings that allow for water to get on the inside of the object.  Mold can grow rapidly in damp environments, and cause a host of health problems if accidentally ingested.
Noisy Toys
Many toys are designed to sing, speak and even play music. It’s important to remind your children to keep their volume levels to a minimum (that applies to the toys, too!).  Hearing loss is common among children – affecting one out of every five by age 12. Remind children to keep toys that make noise away from their ears and at a reasonable volume.
Magnets
Magnets can be small and carry the potential to be swallowed. Emergency room visits occur when these magnets are ingested, as they cause gastrointestinal damage. Be careful to keep magnets that are able to be swallowed out of reach of children.
If you’re aware of these potential hazards, you can help ensure that your family has a happy – and healthy – holiday season.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

7pm-Eyewitness-News-300x100.jpg

iTeam-Tip.png