His favorite recipe from his new book "Off The Eaten Path: Second Helpings," author Morgan Murphy shared Miss. Hudson's Banana Pudding with the Test Kitchen and we just couldn't get enough!
Cooking Time: 20 min
What You'll Need:
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 (11-ounce) box vanilla wafers
- 3 ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (3 cups)
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk together sugar and flour in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk until blended. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Whisk egg yolks until thick and pale. Gradually whisk about one-fourth of hot milk mixture into yolks; add yolk mixture to remaining hot milk mixture, whisking constantly. Pour into a clean saucepan. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons vanilla.
- Toss together vanilla wafers and banana slices in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Top with warm pudding.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (about 2 to 4 minutes). Beat in 1/8 teaspoon vanilla with the last tablespoon of sugar. Spread meringue over warm pudding, sealing to edges of dish. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Mr. Food Website
Copyright 2013 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved.