There are a number of events going on this weekend and in the days ahead! Enjoy! Remember more events can also be found on the Calendar of Events or under our Community Link.
March 8 and March 9, 2014
*Rent opens this weekend at Courtyard Theater in Selinsgrove can be seen over three weekends for 9 performances. Fridays and Saturdays, beginning at 7:00 PM starting on the 7th of March, and Sunday matinees at 2:00 PM with the play concluding on March 23rd. Courtyard Theater at the Susquehanna Valley Mall- Courtyard Theater Box Office: 570-374-0060
*The American Cancer Society has expanded its Relay for Life Program to include the first ever Snow Tube A Thon-Give Cancer the Cold Shoulder All Night Relay for Life Event- Begins Saturday, March 8 at 6 pm and concludes
Sunday, March 9 at 6 am at Camelback Mountain Resort in Tannersville. Fun events are planned all night long!
March 8, 2014
*Pittston Saint Patrick’s Day Parade! The Greater Pittston Saint Patrick's Parade steps off Saturday, March 8th, at noon at the fork in the road in South Pittston. It will wind its way through the downtown before ending at Cooper's Waterfront on Kennedy Boulevard.
*Roast Beef Dinner will be served by the parish of Holy Spirit Evangelical Lutheran Church in Watsontown on Saturday March 8, 4-6pm. Holy Spirit’s March Dinner will be Roast Beef, with sides, dessert, and a beverage. Come for this community favorite! All are welcome! Holy Spirit is fully accessible for all. The cost $8.00 for adults, $4.00 for children 4-8 years old. The Church is located at 10275 State Route 44, Watsontown, Between McEwensville and Turbotville on Route 44
*Head over to Deer Lake on Saturday, March 8, 2014 for a fun-filled day of events benefiting Make-A-Wish® Greater Pennsylvania and West Virginia. If you are feeling brave enough to take on the frigid waters, the Polar Plunge begins at 1 p.m. Afterwards, warm up with the Chili Cook Off from 3-5 p.m. To participate in the Polar Plunge, you must raise donations by pledges, the minimum being $50 to jump. Breakfast for those preparing to take the plunge will be at 10 a.m. at Deer Lake Pub, where 10% of the food sales all day will go to Make-A-Wish®. Throughout the day, there will be hot food and beverages available for purchase, a Chinese Auction hosted by the Deer Lake Fire Company, and T-shirts provided for the participants. For those participating in the Chili Cook-Off, the cost is $5 to enter one crock pot of your favorite chili recipe, and $5 to participate in the tasting. The first place winner will receive $100.
*The South Williamsport Class of 1987 is hosting a benefit for a fellow class mate Jodi (Young) Morris. Jodi was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer about 7 months ago. After living in Philadelphia for many years, Jodi made her way back to South Williamsport. Jodi passed January 17, 2014 leaving her husband Jim, her 11 year old daughter Maggie, and her 5 year old son Dan.
A benefit to help her family with expenses incurred during her illness will be held on March 8th from 4 pm to 10 pm at Zafar Grotto, 381 East Second Avenue in South Williamsport.
All proceeds of the benefit will go to the Young/Morris family. We have a line up of Bands, food, 50/50 and auctions.
*Monroe County Conservation District’s Environmental Education Center Hosts Photography Exhibit Opening Reception for Tom Storm’s “Scenes from the Top” Photographer Tom Storm has spent the past three winters hiking the peaks, ridges and overlooks of Carbon County. The public is invited to the reception to view his exhibit, meet the photographer and enjoy some light refreshments - all free of charge. The Opening Reception: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. will be held on Saturday, March 8, 2014. Visit the “Scenes from the Top” exhibit from March 8, 2014 through March 31, 2014 during regular business hours, which are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and most Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m
*Purchase one-of-a-kind gifts and feel satisfied knowing your purchases directly benefit local vendors. You’re invited to the Spring Craft and Gift Fair on Saturday, March 8, from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., in the Irem Clubhouse Grand Ballroom, located at 64 Ridgway Drive, in Dallas, Pa. Choose items ranging from home decorations and body products to baked goods and handmade jewelry.
March 9, 2014
* On Sunday, March 9 come to Washington Pet Shop, 1310 Blue Valley Drive/Rt 512, Pen Argyl from 11- 2, to meet some of the beautiful loving dogs that Boomer's Angels have for adoption!
Boomer's Angels Rescue & Care is a new group in Northeast Pennsylvania that rescues and re-homes dogs, bunnies and critters. To find more information, visit www.BoomersAngels.com and find us on Facebook. Call (570) 350-4977.
* Camp Papillon will hold an Meet & Greet/Adoption Day from 11 am to 3 pm on Sunday, March 9 at Tractor Supply, Route 209, Brodheadsville. Come and meet the dogs, cats and critters that Camp Papillon has for adoption! Why not fill out an online application and get pre-approved in advance? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, if you are not ready to adopt, why not foster? We provide vet care, food, crates and whatever you need. All you supply is the love! Email email@example.com or visit our website www.camppapillon.org or phone (570)420-0450.
The Bloomsburg University Chamber Orchestra will present the spring concert at 2:30 p.m. Sunday March 9, in St. Matthew Lutheran Church, 123 N. Market St., Bloomsburg, featuring Karena Creasy, oboe d’amore. The program is free and open to the public.
Kids Fun, A Farm Visit, will be held at Bloomsburg University’s Nelson Field House from 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, March 9. During the free carnival for children ages 12 and younger, campus organizations will provide games, crafts and other activities. For information, contact BU’s SOLVE volunteer office, firstname.lastname@example.org or 570-389-4788.
* A New children's support group is forming. It is free to families and open to any child, 5-18, who is coping with the cancer of a loved one. It will be held at The Commonwealth Medical College in Scranton on the last Saturday of each month from 10:00- noon. It will feature art, music, drama, and yoga therapies. For information call or to register call 570-342-8874 or email: email@example.com
* What is it like to live in a work of art? Experience the process of building and living in a home designed by one of America’s greatest architects in “Frank Lloyd Wright’s Samara: A Mid-Century Dream Home,” an exhibition making its East Coast premiere at Pennsylvania College of Technology, in Williamsport. The exhibition runs through March 29
* The Linder Gallery at Keystone College will present an exhibit featuring the work of Keystone College fine arts faculty from February 9 through March 10 on campus.
The exhibition by 19 full-time and adjunct professors features a mixed presentation including painting, photography, sculpture, graphic design, ceramics, glass pieces, installations, and mixed media
*JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER INSTITUTE OF LEARNING
January 15-March 26, 2014 - Wednesdays from 10:30 am-11:30 in the Rifkin Resource Center. The programs are open to the community.
March 12-Robert Lewis & Margaret Bakker
"Ballads from the Great American Songbook"
March 19 - Dr. Sheldon Spear
"Wyoming Valley Children in the Age of Anthracite"
March 26 - Rabbi Roger Lerner
"Fasting in the Jewish Tradition"
Join us for discussion and refreshments. Call Barbara Sugarman 570-824-4646 and let her know you will attend. While you are here, join in our Congregate Meal Program, reservations can be made at the JCC front desk. There is no charge for this program.
*The “Sweet Charity Players” are celebrating its 20th anniversary this year with new presentations of Godspell, the musical based on the Gospel according to Saint Matthew. In conjunction with the “Intentional Discipleship” workshop series being offered by the Diocesan Office for Parish Life, performances will be staged on four consecutive Saturday nights: March 15 at Most Precious Blood Parish in Hazleton; March 22 at St. Maria Goretti Parish in Laflin; March 29 at St. Boniface Parish in Williamsport; and April 5 at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish in Dunmore. Curtain time is 7:30 each evening. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased online at www.dioceseofscranton.org or by calling the Office for Parish Life at 570-207-2213. Tickets will also be available at the door.
*Tamaqua Area High School will be holding its spring musical HONK! on Friday, March 21 and Saturday, March 22. Show starts at 7:00 p.m. The doors will open at 6:00.P.M. Tickets are $10 for adults; $8 for students. There will be refreshments and tee-shirt sales in the lobby, as well as children's activities.
*The Chinchilla Hose Company will be holding its annual pizza sale beginning every Friday during lent from 3pm till 7pm. Red, White, and White Broccoli Pizza will be available from the Fire House on Shady Lane Road in Chinchilla. Orders can be placed on the day of the sale by calling 570-586-5726 and walk-ins are welcome. All Proceeds benefit the operations and needed equipment of the Chinchilla Hose Company of South Abington Township.
*The Samek Art Museum at Bucknell University will present The AfroFuturist Affair Gala Thursday, March 20, from 8 to 11 p.m. in the Samek Gallery at Bucknell. The gala, which is free and open to the public, is part of the Afrotechtopia exhibition at the Samek Gallery, located on the third floor of the Elaine Langone Center.
*The Keystone College Thomas G. Cupillari ’60 Astronomical Observatory will begin its spring series of public lectures and viewing sessions Wednesday, March 12 at 7:30 p.m. and continue each Wednesday and Friday through May 30.
Open to the public and free of charge, the spring sessions will be held regardless of sky conditions and will be cancelled by the threat of severe weather.
*Cub Scout Pack 116 in Jersey Shore is holding its annual cake auction Saturday March 22, 2014 at 2:00pm. It will be held at Trinity United Methodist Church on the corner of Allegheny and Glover Streets. Each boys bakes and decorates a cake which we then auction off to the highest bidder with the proceeds going to help pay for events held by the Pack.
*The Luzerne County Community College’s Dental Department and the Northeast Pennsylvania Dental Hygiene Association hold a Kids’ Cavity Prevention Day every year. This year’s event will be held on Saturday, March 22, from 9 a.m. to noon. The program is free of charge for children ages three to sixteen and includes dental exams, cavity varnish to strengthen enamel and help prevent tooth decay, pit and fissure sealants, dental x-rays, oral hygiene instruction, and a toothbrush. It will be held at the LCCC Dental Clinic -38 Main Street Nanticoke.
*Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church, 420 Main Road, Hanover Township, is sponsoring a Lenten Food Sale on Friday, March 14 from 2-7p.m. in the church hall. You can eat-in or take-out. Menu items include homemade halushki, pierogi (potato and farmers cheese will be available), clam chowder, pizza, and baked fish and cole slaw. There will also be a bake sale held in conjunction with the event. For more information, please call 570-823-6242.
*On Saturday, March 15th The “Duke of Bluegrass” Louie Setzer is coming to The Cooperage at 1030 Main Street in Honesdale with his band, “The Appalachian Mountain Boys.” Hang on to your seats and get ready for an exciting evening of Bluegrass!
7:00pm, doors open 6:30pm Donations accepted at the door.
*NAMI-WB will be presenting the Family to Family Education program starting Wednesday March 12, 2014. Time for all classes: 6:00pm – 9:00pm Location for all classes: NAMI Wilkes-Barre Office 100 E. Union St. 2nd Floor, Suite #6 in Wilkes-Barre For registration: Please call the W-B NAMI PA office at (570) 371-3844.
*Pocono Mountain Bible Conference, located in the beautiful Pocono Mountains, will be hosting their men's retreat March 14-16. This annual retreat is geared towards men, 18 years and older. The weekend will encourage reflection and fellowship. Guest speaker will be Phil Belcher. This event is at no cost. However, a $50 donation is suggested. Registration is necessary and can be made by logging on to www.camppmbc.com.
* Song Writing Workshop, Saturday, March 22, 2014, 3-5 PM at the Paxtonville United Methodist Church, Registration Fee - $20/Deadline March 15, For Ages 16 Years and Older Featuring: Hannah Bingman- Singer/Songwriter, Adrienne Hetrick- Songwriter/Music Historian, Explore Pop Formats, Sources of Inspiration & Critique Songs, Bring Songs That Are A Work-in-Progress, Or Song Ideas, Instruments Welcome To Register: 570-541-3795
*Learn how to make Pysanky- ( The Traditional Ukrainian Easter Eggs) at Cyril and Methodius Ukrainian Catholic Church Parish Hall, 207 River Street, Olyphant, 4 Sundays are available: , March 16, March 23, March 30 and April 6th, 2014 Time: 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Please plan to arrive at 1:45 p.m.) Cost :$15.00 per person/class (Includes Egg, bees wax and stylist) Limited Seating only 25 people per class.Contact: Lauren Telep for reservations ASAP at 570-383-0319
*Saint Andrew’s Parish in Wilkes-Barre is hosting their annual Ham and Cabbage dinner on Sunday, March 16! The menu includes ham and cabbage, boiled potatoes, butter beans, rolls, dessert and a beverage. Dinner will be served from 11:30 am until 4 pm. The cost is $9 for adults and $4 for children age 12 and under. There will also be a bake sale. Tickets are available at the door.
*The Crestwood School District and Mountain Top Relay for Life 6th Annual Hoops for Hope will be held at Crestwood High School on Tuesday, March 18th, Doors open at 5:15pm; Games begin at 6:15pm. Teachers, students and law enforcement will participate in a charity basketball event. Semi-Final games consist of Elementary vs. Police then High School/Middle School vs. Crestwood Seniors. After an intermission of foul shots and three-pointers for prizes, they will play the consolation game followed by the championship game. During the games, teams from the Mountain Top Relay for Life will have individual tables selling various items in the cafeteria. Refreshments will also be available for purchase. T-shirts can be purchased by March 10th for $8 by calling Dawn Marie Chalk at (570) 262-6229.
*Pine Run United Methodist Church in Linden willhost an arts and crafts bazaar 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. on March 29. The event will feature handmade goods, including jewelry, knit and crochet items, soaps, pet toys, home décor and more. Homemade soups, sandwiches and baked goods will be available from the church kitchen. The church is at 1719 Pine Run Road, 1.7 miles north of Route 220 (turn at Sheetz).
*La Plume –- In what is annually a sure sign of spring, Keystone College will host an open house for its Sugar Shack maple syrup operation on Sunday, March 30 at 1 p.m. The public is invited to see how maple syrup is produced and learn about the sugaring process during this hands-on event.
Keystone Professor Howard Jennings and adjunct instructor and naturalist Shane Kleiner will lead the session. The Sugar Shack is located on the east end of campus near Christy Mathewson Field. Guests are asked to dress for the weather and pre-registration is required by contacting Sharon Burke, (570) 945-8555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) Hospice and Home Health of Lackawanna County is offering a “Healing Pathway” Grief Workshop in March. The workshop will begin on Wednesday, March 19th at 630 pm and will occur each Wednesday thereafter until April 9th at VNA’s office located at 301 Delaware Avenue, Olyphant. The workshop is free and open to anyone who would like to participate. For more information or to register please contact Olympia or Gayle at 383-5180.
* Put on your lucky green outfit and head over to Belle Reve Senior Living in Milford for an Irish Fest! Belle Reve is pleased to invite seniors to an Irish Fest to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day on Friday, March 14 at 1:30 p.m. Enjoy a delicious lunch and a fun afternoon with the Tara Minstrels and Irish Step Dancers from the Kenny Cavanaugh School of Irish Dance.
This event is free and open to seniors; however, seating is limited. Please RSVP by March 11 by calling Kaitlyn or Michele at 570-409-9191.
* The Panther Valley Public Library is hosting a Theme Basket fund raiser on April 5th. The event will run from 10 am to 1 pm During the month of March, you can purchase chances on the baskets. The library has 49 baskets on display featuring a variety of items. The money raised will go towards library projects. Check out the baskets and the many new improvements to the library. The library is located at 117 East Bertsch Street in Lansford.
The Wayne County Builders Association (WCBA) is planning its Annual Spring Home and Garden Festival and inviting vendors to sign up now to get your product or service in front of hundreds of families and residents. The event will be held on Saturday and Sunday, April 26 & 27 at Ladore Lodge Camp Retreat & Conference Center, in Waymart. To sign up as an exhibitor or for more information about exhibiting your product or service at the WCBA’s Home and Garden Festival visit www.homeandgardenfest.com or call The WCBA office at 570-226-4941.
*The Department of Student Activities at Misericordia University is sponsoring a concert for Spring Fest Weekend with the alternative rock band, We The Kings, headlining the show on Friday, April 25 at 7 p.m. in the Anderson Sports and Health Center at the North Gate of campus. For more information, please call (570) 674-8111
*Breast Friends of Pennsylvania will host a “Coach” Bingo on April 27th at the Jackson Township Fire Hall, Doors open at noon –bingo begins at 1 pm. Tickets are $30 in advance please contact Kelli Mercurio at 321.236.3721 or Vivian Vega 321.236.3722 Proceeds will benefit “Breast Friends of Pennsylvania”.
*Get ready challenge yourself and Climb the Mohegan Sun Arena. 1,224 steps for Lung Health and the American Lung Association-help raise awareness and funds. Save the date- April 5th. Register at noon and begin climbing the steps at 1 pm. For more information call the American Lung Association at 570-823-2212.
*The Panther Valley Public Library The Panther is hosting a Theme Basket fund raiser on April 5th. The event will run from 10 am to 1 pm . During the month of March, you can purchase chances on the baskets. The library has 49 baskets on display featuring a variety of items. The money raised will go towards library projects. Check out the baskets and the many new improvements to the library. The library is located at 117 East Bertsch Street in Lansford.
* The 3rd Annual Meatless Meal for Lent "Baked Haddock Fish Dinner" sponsored by Saint Cyril and Methodius Ukrainian Catholic Church, Olyphant, PA on Friday, April 11, 2014. It will be held at The REGAL ROOM, 216 Lackawanna Ave. Olyphant, PA. Starting at 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. Pre-sold tickets are $13.00 per person/dinner. You can "Sit In or Take Out" The dinner will included, baked haddock, potato vegetable, cole slaw, roll, dessert with coffee or tea. At the door, a limited amount of tickets will be $15.00 per dinner. Call Sandra at 570-383-9487 for reservations before Monday April 7th, 2014
"The Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley railroad historical society will host a rare mileage photo freight train excursion Saturday, May 3 from Duryea.
Enjoy a day riding the Reading & Northern railroad on tracks that have not seen regular passenger service in over 50 years. Destinations include Scranton, the Vosburg tunnel and Mountain Top. The excursion departs Duryea at 10 am and returns by 7:30.
For more information or to order tickets visit laurellinesspecials.org or call 570-575-5320."
* Center for Vision Loss-Monroe County Office is busy preparing for its first Bingo fundraiser on Sunday, May 4th 2014. The event will be held at the Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Company, 2176 Rt. 715, Reeders, PA Doors open at noon the games starting at 1 pm All proceeds will support Vision Rehabilitation Services for our customers in Monroe County.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.