90°F
Sponsored by

Update: Officials say kids with lighter caused fatal fire

Investigators say the fire that killed a woman in Mocanaqua, Luzerne County, was caused by her grandchildren, who were using a lighter in their bedroom.
Mocanaqua, Luzerne County -- State police said 52-year-old Michelle Dzoch died when her Main Street home caught fire Thursday.

State Police Fire Marshals and troopers say the fire started in a second floor bedroom.

They say it was started by a lighter being used by Dzoch's 5-year-old and 3-year-old grandsons.

The boys, allow with their mother Holly, made it out alive.

The coroner says Dzoch died from carbon monoxide poisoning, and ruled the death accidental.

A neighbor said the roof collapsed before a good samaritan could rescue Dzoch. She said Dzoch helped her put out a fire at her own home last summer.

Three firefighters were treated on the scene for minor injuries.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

7pm-Eyewitness-News-300x100.jpg

iTeam-Tip.png