Update: Officials say kids with lighter caused fatal fire

By Kelly Choate | kchoate@pahomepage.com, Kirstin Cook | kcook@pahomepage.com

Published 05/16 2014 06:54PM

Updated 05/16 2014 07:13PM

Mocanaqua, Luzerne County -- State police said 52-year-old Michelle Dzoch died when her Main Street home caught fire Thursday.

State Police Fire Marshals and troopers say the fire started in a second floor bedroom.

They say it was started by a lighter being used by Dzoch's 5-year-old and 3-year-old grandsons.

The boys, allow with their mother Holly, made it out alive.

The coroner says Dzoch died from carbon monoxide poisoning, and ruled the death accidental.

A neighbor said the roof collapsed before a good samaritan could rescue Dzoch. She said Dzoch helped her put out a fire at her own home last summer.

Three firefighters were treated on the scene for minor injuries.

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

comments powered by Disqus