May 2, 2013 - Nestl USA's Pizza Division today announced the voluntary recall of select production codes of four different frozen pizzas sold in the U.S. These include:
- California Pizza Kitchen (CPK) Crispy Thin Crust White, UPC 71921 98745; production codes are 3062525951, 3062525952 and 3063525951.
- California Pizza Kitchen Limited Edition Grilled Chicken with Cabernet Sauce, UPC 71921 00781; production code is 3059525952.
- DiGiorno Crispy Flatbread Pizza Tuscan Style Chicken, UPC 71921 02663; production codes are 3057525922 and 3058525921.
- DiGiorno pizzeria! Bianca/White Pizza, UPC 71921 91484; production code is 3068525951.
The voluntary recall is limited to frozen pizzas with these specific production codes, which were distributed nationwide. No other production codes/dates, sizes or varieties of CALIFORNIA PIZZA KITCHEN or DIGIORNO pizzas are affected by this recall. The reason for the recall is that the pizza may contain fragments of clear plastic. Nestl USA is taking this action after a small number of consumers reported that they had found small fragments of plastic on the CPK Crispy Thin Crust White pizza. Our investigation indicates this is directly related to a particular lot of spinach we received from one of our suppliers. Although no complaints have been received to date on the other three varieties that used this spinach, we are recalling these additional varieties in an abundance of caution.
All the pizzas being recalled were produced during February and March of this year. Because Nestl USA delivers pizzas in the U.S. directly to retailer freezer cases, we have already instructed our direct store delivery team to begin removing pizzas affected by this recall at retail locations nationwide. We also are working together with our retail partners to ensure that these varieties are removed from freezer shelves nationwide.
Nestl USA also is reaching out to consumers to ask that they examine their freezer inventory for the specific packages of DIGIORNO and CPK varieties affected by this recall.
To locate the production codes for these specific pizzas, the consumer simply needs to look for a blue or pink rectangular box on one of the side panels of the pizza box. The production code is on the second line of the printed code and is the first ten digits of the number. Consumers should look for the following production codes:
- CPK Crispy Thin Crust White: 3062525951, 3062525952 and 3063525951.
- CPK Limited Edition Grilled Chicken with Cabernet Sauce: 3059525952.
- DiGiorno Crispy Flatbread Pizza Tuscan Style Chicken: 3057525922 and 3058525921.
- DiGiorno pizzeria! Bianca/White Pizza: production code is 3068525951.
Consumers who may have purchased the recalled CPK and DIGIORNO pizzas with the identified production codes should not consume the pizza, but instead should contact Nestl USA Consumer Services at 800-456-4394 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., E.T. and this Saturday, May 4th from 12 noon - 8 p.m. E.T.. Nestl will provide a replacement coupon to reporting consumers and also may make arrangements to retrieve the pizza for further examination.
Nestl USA is dedicated to food quality, and the health and safety of its consumers. For these reasons, the company initiated this recall. We apologize to our retail customers and consumers and sincerely regret any inconvenience created by this voluntary product recall.
Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.