Lunchtime doesnt have to be boring for you or your kids. Here are some tips and tricks that you can use to make lunchtime fun.
- Large set of kids cookie cutters; animal shapes, holidays, letters etc.
- Stickers, stickers and more stickers. Pick up the packages that are on
sale for use throughout the year
- Check out your party supply store for discontinued packs of napkins
on sale. Select favorite characters, themes and holidays.
- Include a note wishing a child good luck on a test or telling them you love them
- Include comics cut out of the newspaper or a snapshot, printout a word puzzle or coloring sheet and pen and crayons (the dollar stores have small 5 packs of crayons that would be perfect, or reuse the ones you get at a restaurant)
- Change up the bread you use…. Why not make a turkey & cheese sandwich on a hot dog but or hoagie bread. You can even use tortillas and roll them up and cut them into pinwheels holding them together with decorative toothpicks.
- Why not use a hot dog bun, spread with peanut butter and then place a banana in it for a new twist on the peanut butter & banana sandwich
- Freeze the 100% juice boxes and they will remain cold for lunch and help keep other items cold until time to eat.
- Celebrate the special days. For example, cut sandwiches into hearts on Valentine's day or include a cupcake on a birthday. You could include fortune cookies to celebrate the Chinese New Year and include a note telling about the different zodiac signs as well as what sign they are. Makes for great conversation around the table as they decide who's a rat and who's a monkey.
- For the child that likes boiled eggs, why not draw a face on it.
- Fill an ice cream cone with berries
- Keep those extra packets of sauce and ketchup from the fast food place and include in the child's lunch for dipping.
- Cut a veggie (cucumber, bell pepper) in half and scoop out the middle filling it with tuna, chicken or egg salad. Insert celery or carrot stick in it and attach a slice of cheese or lettuce cut in triangle shape for the sail. Carry out the theme with Goldfish crackers to snack on.
- If your child carries a brown paper bag, let them dress it up stickers or let them color a picture
Most importantly, have fun!