John Tanis in Jail After Judge Revokes Bail

Published 04/15 2014 05:22PM

Updated 04/15 2014 07:52PM

The man at the center of an animal cruelty investigation in Lackawanna County is behind bars tonight.

A judge revoked bail for John Tanis of Moosic Tuesday morning and he was almost immediately taken into custody.

Back in December, a judge told Tanis he was only allowed to have one dog on his property while he is awaiting trial on animal cruelty charges.

Last week, a judge gave him the benefit of the doubt after several dogs were found on his Main Street property in Moosic but when police seized even more dogs Monday night, a judge said that was the last straw.

In the back of his property, handcuffs were placed on Tanis.

"He has definitely made a statement that he is not going to listen to the court's authority, that he's overstepped his bounds by having dogs again and I think the judge has ruled correctly in revoking his bail," Assistant District Attorney Michael Ossont said.

After Tanis was taken into custody, police were allowed to go into Tanis' home and look for any other dogs.

They found one, the dog Tanis was reportedly allowed to keep in the first place.

"I've lost sleepless nights worried about these dogs," Denise Kumor with the animal rights group Tracey's Hope said. "The conditions of the first four (dogs) that we got were so horrendous that I worried the others would end up like that."

"I'm glad it's over with," neighbor Frank Supinski said.

Neighbors like Frank Supinski have tried to keep out of the ongoing saga involving Tanis and his dogs.

"Me and my wife and my dog, we just keep to ourselves," Supinski said.

One dog Tuesday, two Monday night, four last week and 23 in the past all add up to a total of 30 dogs that have been seized from Tanis' property.

The animal rights group Tracey's Hope is helping to foster all of the animals but the group is now pleading for donations.

"With the help of our vets that are letting us put this all on a tab, okay, they give us a huge discount but it's still ranging, it's going to be $10,000 or more," Kumor said.

Donations can be made to Tracey's Hope at the Penn Security Bank on Main Street in Duryea.

As for Tanis, he will stay in the Lackawanna County prison until a hearing can be scheduled within the next 72 hours.

A judge also ordered Tanis to have a mental health evaluation.

Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.