Cooking Time: 55 min
What You'll Need:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (16-ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (8-1/2-ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
What To Do:
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil; saute onion and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Add ground beef and brown 8 to 10 minutes, or until no pink remains; drain off excess liquid. Add remaining ingredients except muffin mix and cheese; mix well. Cover and simmer over low heat 20 to 25 minutes, or until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon chili into prepared baking dish. Prepare muffin mix as directed on package; stir in cheese. Spread mixture over chili.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cornbread topping comes out clean. Cool slightly and serve.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.