Escaped Macaws Cause Commotion in Wilkes-Barre Neighborhood

By Mark Hiller |

Published 06/02 2014 05:35PM

Updated 06/02 2014 06:42PM

Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne County -- Through a green, leafy branch high in tree in a North Washington Street backyard, you could spot some bright red, yellow and blue feathers Monday morning. The plumage belonged to a king-sized parrot known as a macaw. It's one of two escaped macaws that caused quite a commotion. Their loud squawking woke up several neighbors in the middle of the night. "I was in bed and I heard a whole bunch of screaming. I didn't know what it was," said Joel Mezquita who awoke much sooner that he expected to begin the school day.

The noisy birds got neighbor Dianna Benson's attention. She once owned a macaw and tried talking to the birds who first perched themselves on power lines. "I was saying hello and he started saying hello and then he shuffled his way down because he missed his partner and he was saying hello and the other, the scarlet macaw on the roof was saying come here."

The female macaw named Zoey took flight into a tree nearly 40 feet off the ground.  Her partner, a blue male macaw named Murphy, opted for a porch roof. "I had to climb on the roof and bring it down and then it fell down over there," said neighbor Chris Mezquita. A man who is a friend of the birds' owner provided a shoulder for Murphy to rest. Meanwhile, Neighbors snapped photos of Murphy's fine, feathered partner which proved to be a bit more elusive to capture. "Maybe she's waiting for the boy. They're going to fly to the Caribbean together, right," laughed neighbor Bob Bottger.

Juan Perez of Wilkes-Barre, who owns the two macaws, didn't want to take such a chance. After a couple of attempts with a ladder, he finally positioned himself and then extended a pole for Zoey to perch on and led the bird from the tree. After nearly ten hours on the loose, Zoey was reunited with her relieved owner who gave the bird a kiss once safely on the ground.

Mr. Perez says he had the birds with him Monday morning around 2:30 when he drove to a friend's house on North Washington Street. The two birds took off when he opened the car door. He said that was a first and hopes it will be the last.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

comments powered by Disqus