Carbon Monoxide Detectors Save Lives

First responders are stressing the importance of carbon monoxide detectors after a tragedy in Lycoming County over the weekend.

30-year-old Nathan Reece of Muncy and 23-year-old Jacqueline Stackhouse of New Columbia died. Stackhouse's 3-year-old son Austin Cousins also died, along with two girls, 4-year-old Cadee Hawkins and 8-year-old Nariah Hawkins.

The coroner said all five victims died Saturday morning from carbon monoxide poisoning.

State police said they were using a propane heater without proper ventilation at a cabin in Washington Township.

Wilkes-Barre Assistant Fire Chief John Ostrum said carbon monoxide is a silent killer, but detectors can save lives.

The Wilkes-Barre Fire Department is unable to give away carbon monoxide detectors right now, but they are fairly inexpensive at most hardware stores.

Funeral arrangements are still being finalized, but donations are being collected online:

http://www.gofundme.com/8vo0a8

http://www.gofundme.com/8vf034

  • CMN Telethon
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Golf Challenge
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Stroke Awareness Month
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Stefano @ School
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Girl Power
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

Video Center