March 22 and March 23, 2014
*Rent continues this weekend at Courtyard Theater in Selinsgrove can be seen over three weekends for 9 performances. Fridays and Saturdays, beginning at 7:00 PM and Sunday matinees at 2:00 PM with the play concluding on March 23rd. Courtyard Theater at the Susquehanna Valley Mall- Courtyard Theater Box Office: 570-374-0060
March 22, 2014
* A parade in honor of dual bronze medalist Stephanie Jallen will begin at 1:30 from the Midway Shopping Center on Saturday March 22nd. Lineup will begin at 1pm. The parade will proceed on Wyoming Avenue to the Wyoming Area High School. The School District will hold a program at 2pm in the High School gym. The communities in the Wyoming Area School District will declare March 22nd as Stephanie Jallen Day. Residents and businesses along the parade route are asked to display American Flags!
*The Luzerne County Community College’s Dental Department and the Northeast Pennsylvania Dental Hygiene Association hold a Kids’ Cavity Prevention Day every year. This year’s event will be held on Saturday, March 22, from 9 a.m. to noon. The program is free of charge for children ages three to sixteen and includes dental exams, cavity varnish to strengthen enamel and help prevent tooth decay, pit and fissure sealants, dental x-rays, oral hygiene instruction, and a toothbrush. It will be held at the LCCC Dental Clinic -38 Main Street Nanticoke.
*The “Sweet Charity Players” are celebrating its 20th anniversary this year with new presentations of Godspell, the musical based on the Gospel according to Saint Matthew. In conjunction with the “Intentional Discipleship” workshop series being offered by the Diocesan Office for Parish Life, performances will be staged on four consecutive Saturday nights: March 22 at St. Maria Goretti Parish in Laflin; March 29 at St. Boniface Parish in Williamsport; and April 5 at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish in Dunmore. Curtain time is 7:30 each evening. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased online at www.dioceseofscranton.org or by calling the Office for Parish Life at 570-207-2213. Tickets will also be available at the door.
*Girardville Schuykill County Parade – Saturday, March 22-The parade is sponsored every year by the Jack Kehoe Division No. 1, Ancient Order of Hibernians of Girardville
Parade Begins at Noon.,
*The Penn State Master Gardeners in Lackawanna County are offering an exciting new venture on Saturday, March 22, from noon to 3 PM. A Spring Open House will be held at Plow & Hearth at The Shoppes at Montage, 2111 Shoppes Boulevard, Moosic. Special children’s activities will be sponsored by Lackawanna County 4-H. For more information, the Extension at 570-963-6842
*On Saturday, March 22 singer-songwriter and former Williamsport area resident, Morgan Pinnsoneault, will be teaming up with the Williamsport Symphony Orchestra to present “The Beauty of Song”. The concert, her first performance in the area in a few years, will take place at the Community Arts Center at 7:30 and will feature her original country, rock, and soul oriented compositions.
*A Night of Talent will be held Saturday, March 22nd at the Pajama Factory in Williamsport. The event is a community talent show to raise money for AIDS Resource and The West House. Talent acts are being accepted in the following categories: vocal, dance, instrumental, comedy, magic, pantomime, or scenes from a play or movie. Tickets are $10 at the door, and community members are urged to bring spare change to vote for the audience choice awards through their donations. The highest scoring acts will be presented prizes at the close of the evening. Doors open at 6:30pm, and the night kicks off at 7:00pm
*Tamaqua Area High School will be holding its spring musical HONK! on Saturday, March 22. Show starts at 7:00 p.m. The doors will open at 6:00.P.M. Tickets are $10 for adults; $8 for students. There will be refreshments and tee-shirt sales in the lobby, as well as children's activities.
*Cub Scout Pack 116 in Jersey Shore is holding its annual cake auction Saturday March 22, 2014 at 2:00pm. It will be held at Trinity United Methodist Church on the corner of Allegheny and Glover Streets. Each boys bakes and decorates a cake which we then auction off to the highest bidder with the proceeds going to help pay for events held by the Pack.
March 23, 2014
* Stroudsburg- East Stroudsburg Saint Patrick's Day Parade- Sunday, March 23- The Parade begins at 1:30 pm begins in Stroudsburg and ends in East Stroudburg Hosted by the Pocono Irish American Club
*Volunteer organizers are hosting a craft bingo on March 23 in the New Berlin Social Hall at 416 Liberty Street in Mifflinburg to benefit the Mike Hobbins and Taylor Bingaman Recovery Funds.
Doors open at noon with an early-bird game beginning at 1:45. Tickets cost $20 for 20 games and the event will include refreshments, door prizes and special games, plus a feeling of camaraderie.
On Sunday, March 23rd, support the local literary arts and join The Writers’ Circle of Wayne County at The Cooperage on 1030 Main Street in Honesdale for the Local Authors Reading and book sale. You’ll get a chance to hear from several local authors as they read selections from their latest works.
Doors will open at 2:00pm for a meet and greet with the authors. Refreshments will be provided. The book reading presentation, moderated by Aleta Kahn, will begin at 3:00pm. The afternoon will feature four different authors and their most recent publications. The authors are: Leslie Rutkin, Bernard LoPinto, Will Wyckoff and Dawn McIntyre.
* The Linder Gallery at Keystone College will present an exhibition by Los Angeles-based, Philadelphia-born contemporary artist Len Davis from March 23 until April 22 on the campus.
The exhibition Len Davis: Inner Worlds/Outer Limits features the drawing based, pop influenced collages that present Mr. Davis’ new view of portraiture. An opening reception will be held Sunday, March 23 from 4-6 p.m. in the gallery and the public is invited. He will also discuss about his artwork Monday, March 24, at 9:45 a.m. in Brooks Theatre. The presentation is free and open to the public.
* A New children's support group is forming. It is free to families and open to any child, 5-18, who is coping with the cancer of a loved one. It will be held at The Commonwealth Medical College in Scranton on the last Saturday of each month from 10:00- noon. It will feature art, music, drama, and yoga therapies. For information call or to register call 570-342-8874 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
* What is it like to live in a work of art? Experience the process of building and living in a home designed by one of America’s greatest architects in “Frank Lloyd Wright’s Samara: A Mid-Century Dream Home,” an exhibition making its East Coast premiere at Pennsylvania College of Technology, in Williamsport. The exhibition runs through March 29
*JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER INSTITUTE OF LEARNING
January 15-March 26, 2014 - Wednesdays from 10:30 am-11:30 in the Rifkin Resource Center. The programs are open to the community.
March 26 - Rabbi Roger Lerner
"Fasting in the Jewish Tradition"
Join us for discussion and refreshments. Call Barbara Sugarman 570-824-4646 and let her know you will attend. While you are here, join in our Congregate Meal Program, reservations can be made at the JCC front desk. There is no charge for this program.
*The Chinchilla Hose Company will be holding its annual pizza sale beginning every Friday during lent from 3pm till 7pm. Red, White, and White Broccoli Pizza will be available from the Fire House on Shady Lane Road in Chinchilla. Orders can be placed on the day of the sale by calling 570-586-5726 and walk-ins are welcome. All Proceeds benefit the operations and needed equipment of the Chinchilla Hose Company of South Abington Township.
*The Bucknell Opera Company will present a full production of Mozart's The Magic Flute on Saturday, March 29, at 7:30 p.m. in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts at Bucknell.
The performance is free and open to the public; tickets are not required.
* Elm Park Christian Cafe with Comedy Night w/ "Live Wire- Thursday, March 27, 6pm – 9pm. Elm Park UM Church 712 LInden Street, Scranton, Fun for young and old she will have you rolling out of your seats. Come early to make sure you get a seat. Something for all ages. All are welcome! Admission is free and open to the public.
*Bloomsburg University students will host the fourth annual Egg Hunt for Endometriosis starting at 2 p.m. Sunday, March 30, on Schuylkill Hall’s lawn to benefit the Endometriosis Association. The event is open to local children and the entrance fee is $2 per participant. The event is sponsored by Developing Aspiring Student Leaders (DASL) and the Center for Leadership and Engagement.
*The Keystone College Thomas G. Cupillari ’60 Astronomical Observatory will begin its spring series of public lectures and viewing sessions Wednesday, March 12 at 7:30 p.m. and continue each Wednesday and Friday through May 30.
Open to the public and free of charge, the spring sessions will be held regardless of sky conditions and will be cancelled by the threat of severe weather.
* The past comes alive as Montoursville's namesake, Andrew Montour, returns to the area as portrayed by historian and re-enactor William Hunt.
Hosted by Northcentral Chapter 8, Society for Pennsylvania Archaeology and Lycoming County Historical Society, Hunt will offer two programs: one for Montoursville Area High School students, at 10 a.m. March 28 at the Thomas Taber Museum, and one for the public, at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 29 at Montoursville High School.
* On Sunday, March 30 come to Tractor Supply, Route 209, Brodheadsville from 11- 2, to meet some of the beautiful loving dogs that Boomer's Angels have for adoption! Boomer's Angels Rescue & Care is a new group in Northeast Pennsylvania that rescues and rehomes dogs, cats, bunnies and critters. To find more information, visit www.BoomersAngels.com and find us on Facebook. Call (570) 350-4977.
*Come on down to The Cooperage at 1030 Main Street in Honesdale for an Open Electric Jam on Wednesday, March 26th from 7:00 to 10:00pm. This electric jam is hosted by Tom Sieg and Right Side Up. Grab your instruments! Get amped! Come early to sign-up, as the board fills up quickly. BYOB. This is a donation based event and contributions are appreciated.
*Dublin Guitar Quartet will perform on Wednesday, March 26, at 7:30 p.m. at the Campus Theatre in downtown Lewisburg. The performance, presented by the Weis Center for the Performing Arts at Bucknell, is free and open to the public; tickets are not required.
*The 2014 Celebrity Artist Series at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania is bringing the famous Tchaikovsky ballet “Swan Lake” to the stage as a part of BU’s 175th anniversary celebration. The performance will be presented Saturday, March 29, at 8 p.m. in Mitrani Hall, located in BU’s Haas Center for the Arts. Tickets are $35 for adults and $17 for children and BU students.
*The Friends of the Bloomsburg University Library Association (FOBULA) will hold their 14th annual book sale from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 29; 1 to 3 p.m. and 6 to 9 p.m. Sunday, March 30; and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, March 31, in the Andruss Library, Schweiker Room. The library’s largest fundraiser, the book sale has raised more than $27,000 to fund special projects, including digitization and preservation of local and university historic materials, and textbook scholarships. For information, contact Robert Dunkelberger, university archivist, email@example.com or 570-389-4210.
*Pine Run United Methodist Church in Linden will host an arts and crafts bazaar 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. on March 29. The event will feature handmade goods, including jewelry, knit and crochet items, soaps, pet toys, home décor and more. Homemade soups, sandwiches and baked goods will be available from the church kitchen. The church is at 1719 Pine Run Road, 1.7 miles north of Route 220 (turn at Sheetz).
*La Plume –- In what is annually a sure sign of spring, Keystone College will host an open house for its Sugar Shack maple syrup operation on Sunday, March 30 at 1 p.m. The public is invited to see how maple syrup is produced and learn about the sugaring process during this hands-on event.
Keystone Professor Howard Jennings and adjunct instructor and naturalist Shane Kleiner will lead the session. The Sugar Shack is located on the east end of campus near Christy Mathewson Field. Guests are asked to dress for the weather and pre-registration is required by contacting Sharon Burke, (570) 945-8555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) Hospice and Home Health of Lackawanna County is offering a “Healing Pathway” Grief Workshop in March. The workshop will begin on Wednesday, March 19th at 630 pm and will occur each Wednesday thereafter until April 9th at VNA’s office located at 301 Delaware Avenue, Olyphant. The workshop is free and open to anyone who would like to participate. For more information or to register please contact Olympia or Gayle at 383-5180.
* The Panther Valley Public Library is hosting a Theme Basket fund raiser on April 5th. The event will run from 10 am to 1 pm During the month of March, you can purchase chances on the baskets. The library has 49 baskets on display featuring a variety of items. The money raised will go towards library projects. Check out the baskets and the many new improvements to the library. The library is located at 117 East Bertsch Street in Lansford.
A benefit Spring Fling Bingo will be held on April 6th to benefit Music Programs in the Wyoming Area School District. The event will be held at the Wyoming Area Cafeteria from 1 pm to 5 pm. . The Music Sponsors raise money to help all the Music programs in the Wyoming Area School District- the Marching and Concert Bands, the Indoor Percussion group, the Chorus. They also help young musicians who Band & Chorus Festivals and the Guitar Ensemble!
* Cinderella's closet will be Saturday, April 12th at the Y-W-C-A in Williamsport.
The doors will be open from 9 a-m to 1 p-m. The event is hosted by the Junior League of Williamsport
*FISHERMAN'S BREAKFAST, Saturday April 12 2014, 5:00 am---9:00 am, White Deer Community Park
White Deer, Pa, All you can eat: $7:00 , Children 6 and under: $4:00, Sponsored by Faith Chapel U.M.C.
*The "Couponing Makes Cents" class will be held on Saturday, April 26th at 10am at the First Reformed United Church of Christ in Berwick. It is located on 2nd and Vine Streets in Berwick.
*The Wayne County Builders Association (WCBA) is planning its Annual Spring Home and Garden Festival and inviting vendors to sign up now to get your product or service in front of hundreds of families and residents. The event will be held on Saturday and Sunday, April 26 & 27 at Ladore Lodge Camp Retreat & Conference Center, in Waymart. To sign up as an exhibitor or for more information about exhibiting your product or service at the WCBA’s Home and Garden Festival visit www.homeandgardenfest.com or call The WCBA office at 570-226-4941.
* Calling All Volunteers! Register NOW at Kidsburg.org for REBUILD KIDSBURG WEEK, April 30-May 4, 2014, Wednesday - Sunday, in the Bloomsburg Town Park.
Kidsburg, is a beloved playground that was destroyed in the 2011 flood. A dedicated group of volunteers are working to rebuild the park after 20 years of constant play by people from Bloomsburg and far beyond.
* Kidsburg March Madness Basketball Tournament will be held April 4, team registration deadline April 1st at Kidsburg.org All ages welcome - 7 different age brackets from 4 years old to senior citizens. Fee: $3 - ages 10 and under, $5 ages 11 and up
*The Department of Student Activities at Misericordia University is sponsoring a concert for Spring Fest Weekend with the alternative rock band, We The Kings, headlining the show on Friday, April 25 at 7 p.m. in the Anderson Sports and Health Center at the North Gate of campus. For more information, please call (570) 674-8111
*Breast Friends of Pennsylvania will host a “Coach” Bingo on April 27th at the Jackson Township Fire Hall, Doors open at noon –bingo begins at 1 pm. Tickets are $30 in advance please contact Kelli Mercurio at 321.236.3721 or Vivian Vega 321.236.3722 Proceeds will benefit “Breast Friends of Pennsylvania”.
*Get ready challenge yourself and Climb the Mohegan Sun Arena. 1,224 steps for Lung Health and the American Lung Association-help raise awareness and funds. Save the date- April 5th. Register at noon and begin climbing the steps at 1 pm. For more information call the American Lung Association at 570-823-2212.
*The Panther Valley Public Library The Panther is hosting a Theme Basket fund raiser on April 5th. The event will run from 10 am to 1 pm . During the month of March, you can purchase chances on the baskets. The library has 49 baskets on display featuring a variety of items. The money raised will go towards library projects. Check out the baskets and the many new improvements to the library. The library is located at 117 East Bertsch Street in Lansford.
* The 3rd Annual Meatless Meal for Lent "Baked Haddock Fish Dinner" sponsored by Saint Cyril and Methodius Ukrainian Catholic Church, Olyphant, PA on Friday, April 11, 2014. It will be held at The REGAL ROOM, 216 Lackawanna Ave. Olyphant, PA. Starting at 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. Pre-sold tickets are $13.00 per person/dinner. You can "Sit In or Take Out" The dinner will included, baked haddock, potato vegetable, cole slaw, roll, dessert with coffee or tea. At the door, a limited amount of tickets will be $15.00 per dinner. Call Sandra at 570-383-9487 for reservations before Monday April 7th, 2014
*Come to Cherry's Sunset Restaurant, Route 209, Kresgeville at 6:30 PM on Tuesday, April 15 for a bite to eat and meet the volunteers of Safe Haven Dog Rescue.
Safe Haven Pet Rescue is a small group of dedicated volunteers from the West End of the Poconos who save highly adoptable dogs from high kill and overcrowded shelters and finds them loving homes.
For more information about Safe Haven, and to find Volunteer and Foster applications, please visit www.SafeHavenPa.org . Contact Safe Haven at SafeHaven@epix.net. Join Safe Haven Pa on Facebook.
*An Old-Fashioned Hymn Sing will be held on Sunday, April 6 at 2 pm at the Beavertown United Methodist Church located at intersection of Orange and Walnut Street. Raise your voice in song or enjoy listening to old and new songs. Requests are welcome.
*4th Annual Liv with Autism Foundation Bowling Fundraiser ,April 6, 2014 ~ 12pm at Stanton Lanes
472 Stanton Street in Wilkes Barre. Liv With Autism is a local non profit agency based in Mt. Top. Our mission is to promote Autism awareness and help children and families dealing with Autism.
"The Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley railroad historical society will host a rare mileage photo freight train excursion Saturday, May 3 from Duryea.
Enjoy a day riding the Reading & Northern railroad on tracks that have not seen regular passenger service in over 50 years. Destinations include Scranton, the Vosburg tunnel and Mountain Top. The excursion departs Duryea at 10 am and returns by 7:30.
For more information or to order tickets visit laurellinesspecials.org or call 570-575-5320."
* Center for Vision Loss-Monroe County Office is busy preparing for its first Bingo fundraiser on Sunday, May 4th 2014. The event will be held at the Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Company, 2176 Rt. 715, Reeders, PA Doors open at noon the games starting at 1 pm All proceeds will support Vision Rehabilitation Services for our customers in Monroe County.
*The Annual Milton Area Bark For Life is scheduled to take place on Saturday, May 17, 2014 from 9 AM to 1 PM at the Brown Avenue Park, Milton, PA. Registration begins at 9 AM with the Dog Walk beginning at 10 AM. Registration is $10 per dog with all monies going to The American Cancer Society. We are still accepting requests from vendors so if you have a pet related business or activity and would like to participate, please contact us. Questions can be directed to Sandy Muscarella at 570-742-7051 or Liz Emerick at 570-326-4149
* National Day of Prayer Ceremony, May 1, 2014, 11:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. Luzerne County Community College,1333 Prospect Street
Nanticoke. B.A.S.I.C. Club at LCCC Brothers and Sisters in Christ are hosting the event.Music by Making A Difference Ministries will present:
National Recording Artist "Mike Lewis" As well LCCC Choir participate in singing Patriotic Songs, The LCCC Music Club Band.
PGA Tour professional and Lewisburg native Jason Bohn will headline the 28th Annual Pennsylvania College of Technology Foundation Golf Classic, to be held on Monday, June 23, at the Williamsport Country Club. For more information on the Golf Classic, contact Robb Dietrich, executive director of the Penn College Foundation, at email@example.com or 570-320-8020.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.