April 5 and April 6, 2014
* Poenix Kids Presents: SEUSSICAL - Theatre for Young Audiences, April 4 through 13
Friday and Saturday shows 7:00pm, Sundays at 2:00pm at the Phoenix Performing Arts Centre
409 Main St., Duryea Tickets: $10.00 general and $6.00 kids 5 and under For reservations call 570-457-3589, limited seating
*"Deathtrap" opened on Friday, April 4th and runs on Friday, and Saturday evenings at 7:00 PM and Sunday matinees at 2:00 PM for two weeks at the Courtyard Theater in Selinsgrove
*Grease is the word! Hazleton Area High School's Presents the Musical Grease. The show will be in the Hazleton Area High School auditorium Saturday April 5 at 7pm, and Sunday, Aprild 6th at 2pm. Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for students.
Saturday, April 5, 2014
* The Panther Valley Public Library is hosting a Theme Basket fund raiser on April 5th. The event will run from 10 am to 1 pm During the month of March, you can purchase chances on the baskets. The library has 49 baskets on display featuring a variety of items. The money raised will go towards library projects. Check out the baskets and the many new improvements to the library. The library is located at 117 East Bertsch Street in Lansford.
*Get ready challenge yourself and Climb the Mohegan Sun Arena. 1,224 steps for Lung Health and the American Lung Association-help raise awareness and funds. April 5th. Register at noon and begin climbing the steps at 1 pm. For more information call the American Lung Association at 570-823-2212.
*The Scranton PROmoting School-community-university to Enhance Resilience (PROSPER) team is holding a vendor craft fair on Saturday, April 5, at West Scranton Intermediate School from 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. Over 45 vendor and crafters will be selling products and handcrafted items. Proceeds will benefit evidence based drug and alcohol prevention programs which have been proven to strengthen families, reduce adolescent substance use, and build healthier communities.
Sunday, April 6, 2014
A benefit Spring Fling Bingo will be held on April 6th to benefit Music Programs in the Wyoming Area School District. The event will be held at the Wyoming Area Cafeteria from 1 pm to 5 pm. . The Music Sponsors raise money to help all the Music programs in the Wyoming Area School District- the Marching and Concert Bands, the Indoor Percussion group, the Chorus. They also help young musicians who Band & Chorus Festivals and the Guitar Ensemble!
A benefit for Holly Demianovich will be held on Sunday, April 6 at the Grattan Singer Hose Company #1 Fell Township. Holly is battling thyroid cancer. Proceeds from the fundraiser will help with her growing medical expenses.
The fun gets under way at 4 pm and continues until 9 pm. A $15 donation includes a buffet, beverages and entertainment by Jus4Fun. Tickets are on sale at Tina Marie’s Restaurant or by calling 570-483-4844
* A benefit for the Bucksbee family of Carbondale who lost their home and everything in a fire will be at Lyric's 18407 in Carbondale (formerly The Corner Bistro) on Sunday April 6 from 1pm to 6pm featuring numerous live music acts, Chinese Raffle, 50/50 raffle, and only a $5.00 entrance fee per person which will go directly to the family. Food and drinks are available from the selected menu for this event from Lyric's.
The Bucksbees are a family of 6 (Paul and Tracy with a 20 year old daughter, 7 year old son, 5 year old with Downs Syndrome and a 2 month old infant). There is a clothing drive for them at Artesian Fire Co. in Jermyn, Valley Lanes Bowling Alley, the home of Victoria Rulis 161 Honesdale Rd. Carbondale, William Walker Hose Co. Jermyn and Longworth Restaurant in Jermyn. Items needed are clothing, shoes and coats for all of them. Call one of these places for sizes. Toys are also needed for the kids along with food and diapers.
*An Old-Fashioned Hymn Sing will be held on Sunday, April 6 at 2 pm at the Beavertown United Methodist Church located at intersection of Orange and Walnut Street. Raise your voice in song or enjoy listening to old and new songs. Requests are welcome.
*4th Annual Liv with Autism Foundation Bowling Fundraiser ,April 6, 2014 ~ 12pm at Stanton Lanes
472 Stanton Street in Wilkes Barre. Liv With Autism is a local non profit agency based in Mt. Top. Our mission is to promote Autism awareness and help children and families dealing with Autism.
On-Going- Exhibits, Support Groups, and More
. *The Chinchilla Hose Company will be holding its annual pizza sale beginning every Friday during lent from 3pm till 7pm. Red, White, and White Broccoli Pizza will be available from the Fire House on Shady Lane Road in Chinchilla. Orders can be placed on the day of the sale by calling 570-586-5726 and walk-ins are welcome. All Proceeds benefit the operations and needed equipment of the Chinchilla Hose Company of South Abington Township.
*Lycoming College will host its annual Senior Art Show April 3-May 4 in the college’s Art Gallery in Snowden Library. The gallery is free and open to the public. The competitive exhibition showcases the best work of the graduating seniors
* The Linder Gallery at Keystone College will present an exhibition by Los Angeles-based, Philadelphia-born contemporary artist Len Davis from March 23 until April 22 on the campus.
The exhibition Len Davis: Inner Worlds/Outer Limits features the drawing based, pop influenced collages that present Mr. Davis’ new view of portraiture. An opening reception will be held Sunday, March 23 from 4-6 p.m. in the gallery and the public is invited. He will also discuss about his artwork Monday, March 24, at 9:45 a.m. in Brooks Theatre. The presentation is free and open to the public.
* A New children's support group is forming. It is free to families and open to any child, 5-18, who is coping with the cancer of a loved one. It will be held at The Commonwealth Medical College in Scranton on the last Saturday of each month from 10:00- noon. It will feature art, music, drama, and yoga therapies. For information call or to register call 570-342-8874 or email: email@example.com
* Twenty-three graduating students from Keystone College’s four-year art programs will host a gallery exhibit featuring their work. The show will consist of a dual opening taking place simultaneously at the Artists for Art (AFA) Gallery, 514 Lackawanna Ave., Scranton, and the ArtWorks Gallery, 503 Lackawanna Ave., Scranton, and will remain open for the rest of the month.
*The Keystone College Thomas G. Cupillari ’60 Astronomical Observatory will begin its spring series of public lectures and viewing sessions Wednesday and Friday through May 30.
Open to the public and free of charge, the spring sessions will be held regardless of sky conditions and will be cancelled by the threat of severe weather.
*The Bucknell Brigade will host a yard sale Saturday, April 12, in the South Ward parking lot, located on Blackberry Alley between St. George and St. Catherine streets in Lewisburg. Yard sale hours are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The Brain Club at Bucknell University will host a 5K run/walk race on Saturday, April 12, to benefit the Autism and Developmental Medicine Institute at Geisinger. Registration begins at 8 a.m. near the Bucknell soccer field, across Route 15 from the main campus. Registration is $15 before April 8, $20 after April 8 and on the day of the race. Interested participants can register online at https://runsignup.com/Race/PA/Lewisburg/AutismAwareness5KRunWalkLewisburg
*The enchantment of Sirens will lure audiences to a deserted island, where magic, fairies and romance collide in a moonlit forest during the King’s College Theatre Department’s upcoming production of Shakespeare’s classic comedy, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” at 7:30 p.m. April 9-12 and at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 13, in the George P. Maffei II Theatre.
The Bloomsburg University Concert Choir will perform at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 12, at the First Presbyterian Church, 345 Market St., Bloomsburg. The program features the Women’s Choral Ensemble, Husky Singers and Concert Choir. The concert is free and open to the public.
Bloomsburg University’s Concert Band will perform at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, April 13, in Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. The performance is free and open to the public.
Bloomsburg University will celebrate the fourth annual Springfest. The two-day event begins at 5 p.m. Friday, April 11, with Musicfest, a showcase of student musicians and local bands, at the Scranton Commons Amphitheatre. At 10 a.m. Saturday April 12, games, sports and other activities will begin at Nelson Field House. Springfest is sponsored by the Center for Leadership and Engagement, Community Government Association, Residence Life Office, Student Affairs Office and the Student Recreation Center, and is open to the public. For more information, contact George Kinzel, director of the Center for Leadership and Engagement, firstname.lastname@example.org.
· The annual Bloomsburg University Dance Ensemble Spring Recital will be presented at 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday, April 10 and 11, in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Admission is free.
*A Community Easter Egg Hunt will be held Saturday, April 12, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Hufnagle Park in Lewisburg.The Easter Egg Hunt will have a staggered start by age: 11:15 a.m., 0 to 3 years of age; 11:30 a.m., 4 to 6 years of age; 11:45 a.m., 7 to 10 years of age; noon, 11 years and older.
The event, which is free and open to the public, will include face painting, relay races and more.Participants are requested to check in at the registration table located at the gazebo upon arrival.It is hosted by Alpha Xi Delta sorority and Phi Kappa Psi fraternity at Bucknell University.
*Zebra Communications, the student-run public relations agency at Wilkes University, will be hosting An Old Hollywood Gala benefiting the Embrace a Child campaign. The event will be held on Thursday, April 10, 2014 from 7-10 p.m. in the lobby of the Dorothy Dickson Darte Center. Tickets for the event are $10, and include one raffle ticket towards the door prize, a $50 gift card to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse at the Mohegan Sun Casino. The ticket also includes hors d'oeuvres, carving & pasta stations, desserts (donated by The Westmoreland Club), and live entertainment provided by student DJ John Scalese, vocalist Macey McGuire, and guitarist Brandon Schmeer.
Michele Geiser of BePa studios will be showing and selling her photography, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting Embrace a Child.
* Roast Beef Dinner-Sat, April 26, 4-7pm sponsored by St. John’s Lutheran Church, 106 W. Main St., Ringtown in the fellowship hall regular: $10.00 small: $5.00 under 5 years old free advance tickets required contact the church office: 570- 889-5203
* Bingo featuring Longaberger baskets and Vera Bradley bags hosted by American Legion Post 346 in East Stroudsburg, PA to be held on Sunday, April 27th. Proceeds from the event benefit the NEPA Community FCU Foundation. The foundation provides scholarships to local high school students. Doors open at 12 noon, bingo begins promptly at 1:00 pm. The cost for tickets is $20.00 in advance, $25.00 at the door and includes 20 games of bingo and door prize entry. There will be raffles, 50/50 and refreshments available for an additional cost. For more information or to reserve your tickets, please contact Jennifer Bayer at 570-424-6174 or visit the NEPA Community Federal Credit Union at 935 Clay Avenue in Stroudsburg, PA on Fridays 3-6 and Saturdays 9-12.
* On Sunday, April 13th- The Rowan Lynch Quartet will perform at The Cooperage Project to celebrate the release of their first recording–Strange Carp. Come join in on the fun and support this achievement! The performance will begin at 3:00pm. Donations appreciated. Lite fare will be available for purchase from Willow River Cafe. The Cooperage--1030 Main Street, Honesdale
Chicken bbq dinner Saturday, April 12th -3:00 p.m. till 7:00 p.m.
Effort united Methodist Church, 178 Merwinsburg Road, Effort
Call 570-629-1890 for more information. Take out Available- Children 3 and under :Free Children 4-12: $5.00 Adults: $9.50 Adult Prepaid Ticket: $9.00
* Cinderella's closet will be Saturday, April 12th at the Y-W-C-A in Williamsport.
The doors will be open from 9 a-m to 1 p-m. The event is hosted by the Junior League of Williamsport
*FISHERMAN'S BREAKFAST, Saturday April 12 2014, 5:00 am---9:00 am, White Deer Community Park
White Deer, Pa, All you can eat: $7:00 , Children 6 and under: $4:00, Sponsored by Faith Chapel U.M.C.
*The "Couponing Makes Cents" class will be held on Saturday, April 26th at 10am at the First Reformed United Church of Christ in Berwick. It is located on 2nd and Vine Streets in Berwick.
*The Wayne County Builders Association (WCBA) is planning its Annual Spring Home and Garden Festival and inviting vendors to sign up now to get your product or service in front of hundreds of families and residents. The event will be held on Saturday and Sunday, April 26 & 27 at Ladore Lodge Camp Retreat & Conference Center, in Waymart. To sign up as an exhibitor or for more information about exhibiting your product or service at the WCBA’s Home and Garden Festival visit www.homeandgardenfest.com or call The WCBA office at 570-226-4941.
* Calling All Volunteers! Register NOW at Kidsburg.org for REBUILD KIDSBURG WEEK, April 30-May 4, 2014, Wednesday - Sunday, in the Bloomsburg Town Park.
Kidsburg, is a beloved playground that was destroyed in the 2011 flood. A dedicated group of volunteers are working to rebuild the park after 20 years of constant play by people from Bloomsburg and far beyond.
*The Department of Student Activities at Misericordia University is sponsoring a concert for Spring Fest Weekend with the alternative rock band, We The Kings, headlining the show on Friday, April 25 at 7 p.m. in the Anderson Sports and Health Center at the North Gate of campus. For more information, please call (570) 674-8111
*Breast Friends of Pennsylvania will host a “Coach” Bingo on April 27th at the Jackson Township Fire Hall, Doors open at noon –bingo begins at 1 pm. Tickets are $30 in advance please contact Kelli Mercurio at 321.236.3721 or Vivian Vega 321.236.3722 Proceeds will benefit “Breast Friends of Pennsylvania”.
* The 3rd Annual Meatless Meal for Lent "Baked Haddock Fish Dinner" sponsored by Saint Cyril and Methodius Ukrainian Catholic Church, Olyphant, PA on Friday, April 11, 2014. It will be held at The REGAL ROOM, 216 Lackawanna Ave. Olyphant, PA. Starting at 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. Pre-sold tickets are $13.00 per person/dinner. You can "Sit In or Take Out" The dinner will included, baked haddock, potato vegetable, cole slaw, roll, dessert with coffee or tea. At the door, a limited amount of tickets will be $15.00 per dinner. Call Sandra at 570-383-9487 for reservations before Monday April 7th, 2014
*Come to Cherry's Sunset Restaurant, Route 209, Kresgeville at 6:30 PM on Tuesday, April 15 for a bite to eat and meet the volunteers of Safe Haven Dog Rescue.
Safe Haven Pet Rescue is a small group of dedicated volunteers from the West End of the Poconos who save highly adoptable dogs from high kill and overcrowded shelters and finds them loving homes.
For more information about Safe Haven, and to find Volunteer and Foster applications, please visit www.SafeHavenPa.org . Contact Safe Haven at SafeHaven@epix.net. Join Safe Haven Pa on Facebook.
*Comedienne Jessica Kirson knows how to find humor in everything, especially herself, and she definitely knows how to bring her audience along for the hilarious ride. She is at once raucous, edgy and downright side-splitting. No person, situation or thing is immune to her self-styled, razor-sharp sense of humor.
Temple Hesed of Scranton, PA will be hosting Ms. Kirson at The Comedy Palace on April 26, 2014 at the Temple, 1 Knox Road, Scranton, PA 18505. The event begins at 8 pm, with a cocktail hour starting at 7:30 pm.. For General, Patron and/or table reservations, please call and leave a message with either Temple Hesed, 570-344-7201 or Barbara Parker-Bell at 570-585-1192.
"The Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley railroad historical society will host a rare mileage photo freight train excursion Saturday, May 3 from Duryea.
Enjoy a day riding the Reading & Northern railroad on tracks that have not seen regular passenger service in over 50 years. Destinations include Scranton, the Vosburg tunnel and Mountain Top. The excursion departs Duryea at 10 am and returns by 7:30.
For more information or to order tickets visit laurellinesspecials.org or call 570-575-5320."
* Center for Vision Loss-Monroe County Office is busy preparing for its first Bingo fundraiser on Sunday, May 4th 2014. The event will be held at the Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Company, 2176 Rt. 715, Reeders, PA Doors open at noon the games starting at 1 pm All proceeds will support Vision Rehabilitation Services for our customers in Monroe County.
*The Annual Milton Area Bark For Life is scheduled to take place on Saturday, May 17, 2014 from 9 AM to 1 PM at the Brown Avenue Park, Milton, PA. Registration begins at 9 AM with the Dog Walk beginning at 10 AM. Registration is $10 per dog with all monies going to The American Cancer Society. We are still accepting requests from vendors so if you have a pet related business or activity and would like to participate, please contact us. Questions can be directed to Sandy Muscarella at 570-742-7051 or Liz Emerick at 570-326-4149
* National Day of Prayer Ceremony, May 1, 2014, 11:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. Luzerne County Communitty College,1333 Prospect Street
Nanticoke. B.A.S.I.C. Club at LCCC Brothers and Sisters in Christ are hosting the event.Music by Making A Difference Ministries will present:
National Recording Artist "Mike Lewis" As well LCCC Choir participate in singing Patriotic Songs, The LCCC Music Club Band.
* Craft/Vendor Fair -West End Relay for Life-May 31, 2014 10 am-3 pm-Pleasant Valley High School Stadium-Route 209, Brodheadsville. Interested vendors or for more information contact June O’Neill 570-801-7750 or email@example.com
* The annual Pat Purcell Memorial Scholarship 5K Race will be held Saturday May 3rd at Nay Aug Park in Scranton, with registration beginning at 9am. The first 100 entrants receive a free t-shirt, and scholarships will be awarded to 2 area athletes in Pat Purcell's name. Additional information can be found on the Pat Purcell Memorial Scholarship 5 K Race facebook page
*Registration is now open for the Girls on the Run Spring 5K race and a new race location has been selected. Please join us for our inaugural 5K in Mifflinburg! The course will take place through the beautiful town of Mifflinburg and will come back on the Buffalo Valley Rail Trail for a scenic finish. The race will be held on May 3rd at 10 a.m. at Mifflinburg Community Park. The Girls on the Run 5K is open to runners and walkers of all ages. For more information or to register for the 5K race, please visit our website at www.girlsontherunsusquehannavalley.org.
PGA Tour professional and Lewisburg native Jason Bohn will headline the 28th Annual Pennsylvania College of Technology Foundation Golf Classic, to be held on Monday, June 23, at the Williamsport Country Club. For more information on the Golf Classic, contact Robb Dietrich, executive director of the Penn College Foundation, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 570-320-8020.
The Edwardsville Hometown Committee is currently planning the first annual Edwardsville Pierogi Festival.
The festival is scheduled to be held June 13th and 14th on the boroughs Main St in Edwardsville. The committee is currently seeking
vendors, crafter's, food truck vendors, volunteer entertainment, etc. to participate in the event. The Vendor application is available online
through Facebook on the Edwardsville Pierogi Festival page.
Also the festival will feature a Best of the Borough Cook-off contest.
Interested residents are encouraged to enter, the categories are as follows: Pierogie, Piggie/Halupki, Rozy Cozy burger and Welsh cookie
Entry forms are available at the borough building and at various businesses on Main St. and also on the Festival Facebook page.
The Edwardsville Hometown Committee meets bi-weekly at various businesses in the borough, the next meeting is April 7th, for more information
or to get involved please contact Jackie 570-288-7596.
Catawissa Borough has announced its Summer Breeze Free Concert Series Summer of Tribute Bands
Friday June 6, 7th Annual Teenage Battle of the Bands, Local Bands and Solo Entertainers
Tuesday June 10 Tribute to Classic Rock The Loons in Concert
Tuesday June 17th Tribute to the Beatles by Uptown Music Collective 25 member ensemble
Tuesday June 24th Tribute to the Bee Gees by BeeGeeZ USA
Tuesday July 1 Patriotic Tribute, Wolfgang Park, Main Street by Catawissa Military Band
Tuesday July 8 Creedence Tribute by Green River
All shows are at Cara Park, South 4th Street, Catawissa Pa.
Rain Location (all shows) Catawissa Fire Company, South 4th Street, Catawissa. Bring a lawn chair, food and beverage concessions available
All shows free to the public
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.