The graduating class of 1964 will celebrate its 50-year reunion during the weekend. Alumni volunteers will be honored at a dinner on Friday during which the William T. Derricott ’66 Volunteer of the Year will be named. The annual luncheon for the classes of 1930 to 1959 will be held on Sunday. Details and registration information can be found at www.bloomualumni.com.
The award winners:
- Ed Rush, Coronado, Calif., officiated at more than 2,000 games, including NBA All-Star games, from 1966 to 1998, when he became director of officiating for the National Basketball Association/Women’s National Basketball Association. A graduate of West Chester University and former teacher and football coach at Marple-Newton High School in suburban Philadelphia, Rush coaches the Huskies, specifically working with kickers and running backs. In 2008, he received the Medallion Award from the National Association of Sports Officials and he recently was named one of the 50 most influential people in sports officiating.
- Dr. Tracey Dechert ’88, Boston, Mass., is an assistant professor of surgery and associate program director, General Surgery Residency, at the Boston University School of Medicine, and a trauma surgeon who helped care for victims of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. Dechert worked in medical publishing before earning a post-baccalaureate pre-health program degree from the University of Pennsylvania and a doctor of medicine degree from Temple University’s School of Medicine. She is a member of numerous medical associations and has been honored for teaching and research in the field of trauma surgery.
- Christine Tegge Bloch ’89, Mount Airy, Md., founded the Four County Allergy Support Team in Carroll County, Md., an organization that provides education and support about food allergies. Bloch, who has been recognized nationally for her volunteer work related to children’s food allergies, is a school parent volunteer coordinator and works at the Health Unlimited Family Fitness and Aquatic Center.
- David J. Marcolla ’00, Hopewell, N.J., director of product management AT&T Wireless Home Services, was a workshop presenter at the last three Husky Leadership Summits, volunteered with the Alumni in the Classroom program and was a guest speaker for BU’s American Marketing Association Club. He serves in leadership positions with Cancer Support Communities of Central New Jersey and the Delaware Valley, First Night Newtown and several Chambers of Commerce.
- Kristi Telschow ’05, Califon, N.J., is the founder and CEO of Jersey Staffing and Jersey IT Solutions. A finalist for a Leading Women Entrepreneur and Business Owner award in New Jersey Monthly Magazine, she was featured in Forbes magazine in 2013 and honored in NJBIZ “40 under 40” in 2013. She is an active volunteer and supporter of programs including Junior Achievement and Toys for Tots. Telschow is active in several business associations in New Jersey.
(Information from Bonnie Martin)
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.