· Stroke: Tuesday, September 2, 5:30 pm, at Evangelical Community Hospital in Apple B Conference room.
· Gluten Free Friends: Tuesday, September 2, 6:30 pm, at Evangelical Community Hospital in D&E Conference Room, located off of the Degenstein (main) lobby.
· Bariatric: Wednesday, September 3, 6 pm, at Evangelical Community Hospital in Apple Conference Rooms A&B. Topic: Surgery Description/Video.
· Empty Arms: Monday, September 15, 7 pm, at Evangelical Community Hospital in D&E Conference Room, located off of the Degenstein (main) lobby. Support group for individuals following the loss of a baby. Please call Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 to register.
· Better Breathers Club: Wednesday, September 17, 6 pm at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Topic: “Autumn triggers for Asthma and COPD,” guest speaker Melanie Hunsinger, RN, certified asthma educator, Allergy Partners of Lewisburg.
· Life After Loss: Wednesdays, September 17 – October 22, 1-3 pm, Evangelical Hospice Office. Support group for anyone age 18 or older who has experienced the loss of a loved one. $20 registration fee. Call 570-522-2157 to register.
· Alcoholics Anonymous: Sundays, Noon-1 pm and Wednesdays, 7 pm, Evangelical Community Hospital in Wood-Mode Conference Room, located on the Hospital’s Lower Level.
Evangelical Community Hospital will hold a series of classes through the month of September. They are as follows:
Prepared Childbirth Classes:
· Teen Prepared Childbirth Class: Wednesday, September 3, 4-8:30 pm, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. $10 per couple. This course is for all expectant teen parents (or support person) during the last three months of pregnancy. The class prepares parents for the physical and emotional effects of labor and delivery.
· Newborn Care: Mondays, September 8 and 15, 7-9 pm, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. $30 per couple. This class is designed to teach caregivers how to diaper, bathe, and feed their baby. This class also covers post-partum depression and care of the new mother.
· Hello Baby Class (for siblings ages 2-10): Monday, September 15 or 22, 6:15-7:45 pm, at Apple Conference Rooms A&B, in the rear of the dining room at Evangelical Community Hospital. Cost is $10 per family. This class teaches brothers and sisters how to diaper, swaddle, and hold a baby.
· Weekend Prepared Childbirth Class: Saturday, September 20, 9 am-4 pm, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. $50 registration fee. This class is designed for the busy parents-to-be who are unable to attend the weekly Prepared Childbirth sessions. Everything you need to know about labor and delivery, breathing, and relaxation will be covered in class.
· Prenatal Breastfeeding: Monday, September 22, 7-9 pm at the Community Health and Wellness Center. $20 per couple. This class is for the expectant mother and one support person. The course covers the advantages of breastfeeding and the common concerns associated with it.
· Prepared Childbirth Class: Wednesdays, September 24-October 22, 6:30-8:30 pm, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. $50 per couple. This course guides parents and support persons through childbirth, including labor, delivery, breathing, and relaxation.
· Prepared Childbirth Refresher Class: Dates are not pre-determined; please call the Community Health and Wellness Center at 570-786-3200 to schedule your class. $25 registration fee. Designed to refresh parents on the basics of childbirth. Couples are provided with current labor technique information in a private, appointment only setting.
· Grand parenting Class: No classes for the month of September.
· T-Dap Clinic and Child Safety Seat Checks: Protect yourself and your new baby with Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis vaccines. The vaccination is available at no charge to fathers and other family household members (18 years of age and older) of a newborn delivered at Evangelical Community Hospital. For your convenience and the safety of your child, have your child’s safety seat checked as well, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Appointments are preferred.
o Mondays, 9 am-Noon
o Wednesdays, Noon-4 pm
o Fridays, 9 am-Noon and 1-3 pm
· Healthcare Provider CPR Class: Wednesday, September 10, 6-10 pm, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. This American Heart Association course is for the healthcare provider in and out of hospital settings in need of CPR certification. Students will learn how to initiate the Chain of Survival, perform prompt, high quality chest compressions for adult, child, and infant victims, initiate early use of an AED and much more. $40 registration fee.
· Heartsaver Adult/Child/Infant CPR & AED: Tuesday, September 16, 8:30 am-12:30 pm, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. This American Heart Association course is for people who want to learn how to give CPR to an adult, child, and infant, how to use an AED, and how to assess the scene and phone the emergency response number. $40 registration fee.
· Evangelical EDGE (Empowering Dimensional Growth Every Day!): Mondays, October 6 – November 10, 6-7 pm, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. This six-week course guides you through the dimensions of health and wellness from goal setting to success, each week will focus on a specific topic: physical activity, healthy eating, stress management, self and social support, and overall well-being. $60 for the six-week session.
· Staying Strong: Mondays and Wednesdays, September 8 – October 15, 9-10 am or 10:15-11:15 am, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. A safe, fun, and challenging strength-training program for women of all ages. This program focuses on improving bone density, muscle strength, flexibility, and balance. Light weights and body resistance are used to shape and tone your body. Equipment provided. $60 for six-week sessions.
· Diabetes Education Program: Wednesday, September 17, 3 pm, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Learn about diabetes and exercise with guest speaker Terri Krawee, DPT. Pre-registration required, call 570-522-2893.
· CPR Instructor Course: Friday, September 26, 9 am – 4 pm, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. $175 registration fee. Deadline for registration is September 5.,
Screenings through the month of September.
Healthy Legs for Living: Friday, September 12, 8-11 am, Middleburg Family Medicine, 412 West Market Street, Middleburg. This free screening program is for people who are concerned they may be at risk for Peripheral Vascular Disease. Common symptoms are aching, tiredness or cramping in the legs, numbness, tingling or coldness, or sores on the feet which do not heal. Appointments required. Call 570-768-3200.
Comprehensive Blood Screen: Thursday, September 18, 7-10 am, at Selinsgrove Family Medicine, 935 Route 522, Selinsgrove. A low cost comprehensive blood screening can provide important details about your health, sometimes before symptoms of a condition surface, giving you and your physicians the power to plan ahead. $40 fee includes lipid panel (HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, and triglycerides), complete blood count, and CMP (blood sugar, electrolytes, calcium, protein, liver enzymes etc.). Appointments required. Call 570-768-3200.
Free Bone Density Screen: Monday, September 22, 1-3pm, at the Community Health and Wellness Center. Qualification: Have not had a DXA scan in past 2 years, have not had a heel bone density test in past year, and meet one of the following criteria: over the age of 65, post-menopausal, or pre-menopausal with high risk factors.
Blood Pressure Screenings:
· Tuesday, September 2, 10 am-noon, Sunbury YMCA
· Wednesday, September 3, 9 am-1 pm, Mifflinburg Bank, Lewisburg
· Thursday, September 18, 10-11 am, West End Senior Center
· Tuesday, September 23, 10am-noon, Milton YMCA
· Mondays, 9-Noon, Wednesdays, Noon-4 pm, and Fridays, 9 am-Noon and 1-3 pm, Community Health and Wellness Center
Blood Sugar Screenings:
· Tuesday, September 2, 10 am-noon, Sunbury YMCA
· Tuesday, September 23, 10 am-noon, Milton YMCA
For more information, please call Community Health and Wellness at 570-768-3200 or visit www.evanhospital.com.
(Information fromDeanna Hollenbach
Public Relations/Communications Manager
Evangelical Community Hospital)
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.